How efficient is storage of complex types?

Deb_ChatignyDeb_Chatigny Administrator
edited April 7 in General Discussion

How efficiently are the complex types physically stored (encoding, storage footprint, CPU/memory consumption when working with them)?

Question asked by an attendee during Putting Complex Data Types to Work. @DeepakMajeti @rroelke

Answers

• ChuckBChuckB Employee

Vague question... but basically, as efficient as a deconstructed set of primitive types, if you use the new CT stuff (So... extremely efficient!). Sometimes inefficient, if you use unoptimized flex maps.

• mcelliomcellio Employee

FYI, one-dimensional arrays are the only complex types that can currently be stored in ROS data; everything else is external tables.

• What encoding can be used in case of the new CT stuff?

• edited July 20

I am creating an SQL table that will provide the back-end storage mechanism for complex-typed objects. I am trying to determine how to accomplish this with the best performance. I need to be able to query on each individual simple type value of the complex type (e.g. the String value of a City in an Address complex type). VidMate TeaTV Shareit

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

Can't find what you're looking for? Search the Vertica Documentation, Knowledge Base, or Blog for more information.