Is the admintools command line utility being phased out?

Hi all, I heard a rumor through the grapevine that Vertica maybe phasing out the admintools command line utility in favor of Management Console? I'm not sure why they would do that. Can someone shed some light on this odd news? Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Jim, thanks for asking to set the record straight! I'll check in with our product team.
  • Thanks for a good question. First I have to invoke the standard disclaimers about not committing to a roadmap here. (So that's that then.) There are two things you could mean. The first is the admin tools invocations from the command line, which can be used in scripts and other batch processes. These are here to stay for the foreseeable future, as there is no proposed suitable replacement. The other is the replacement of the dialog-based menu driven admin tools, which run in a shell window but are interactive. Replacing these with the MC is indeed a twinkle in the eye because we don't want to maintain two overlapping systems, but it won't happen any time soon (not this year, for example). We are well aware that, to make this migration plausible: 1. The MC has to reach feature parity with admin tools. It is still short on DBD, for one thing. 2. The MC has to achieve adoption. We are, soon, removing the need for additional hardware to use the MC. So anyone with a browser should be able to enjoy the benefits of MC. But if these efforts still do not result in good adoption, we certainly won't be able to eliminate the admin tools in favor of MC. So it could happen any time between two years from now, or never at all, depending on how well this approach would meet customer needs at that point. Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the reply! I was more worried about losing the ability to run admintools with the --tool option from the command line. I am glad to hear that it won't be going away for while!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file