Options

Vertica support of Distributed Relational Database Architecture (DRDA) protocol

Distributed Relational Database Architecture (DRDA) is a database interoperability standard from The Open Group. The need for is protocol is to integrate Vertica with IBM Informix. My first proposal will be the use of external tables. Any other ideas or alternatives ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Vivian, Vertica unfortunately does not support DRDA at this time. I'm not currently aware of any DRDA implementations that take advantage of distributed databases; the protocol appears to be optimized for getting individual computers talking to each other. Though I'm not very familiar with DRDA so would be glad to be told otherwise. If you'd like something simple, you could look at the open-source odbc_loader_package for Vertica: https://github.com/vertica/Vertica-Extension-Packages/ This lets Vertica connect to any remote database over ODBC. I don't know of anyone who's ever tried it against Informix, so you'd be on your own there. But it's an option that you could play around with. It of course does suffer from the performance limitations described above; the current implementation is just a point-to-point connection so you just have one Vertica node talking with your other database. Relatedly, if you're a developer, you're certainly welcome to try to implement DRDA support for Vertica, using the odbc_loader_package as a template to start from. It uses Vertica's public SDK.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file