copy local direct v/s partitions

Hi All, We are using copy from local for bulk loading data to vertica. We use the keyword DIRECT along with the COPY LOCAL command. Our normal bulk upload size is around 100 K rows. Its mentioned in the docs that using the keyword DIRECT leads to AUTO PARTITIONING. Now we have mentioned an explicit partitioning clause on the table based on year and month. Would these two conflict with each other ? With the upload size mentioned above do we need the keyword DIRECT at all ? Thanks in Advance, RAvi.

Comments

• Prasanta_PalPrasanta_Pal - Select Field - Employee
    Hi, Please see the documentation https://my.vertica.com/docs/6.1.x/HTML/index.htm#13683.htm Try to follow the same steps, see what it does for your understanding. To me, Auto partioning means, while DIRECT COPY/ MOVEOUT overation, as per partition keys defined, the data will be partitioned and data will be stored in ROS ( i.e each ROS container will contain one partition key data - > Auto Partition). Your defined partitions should be available as per your definition. Now if you create a new projection for that table and use SELECT START_REFRESH(); , this new projection will have data but One ROS container can contain multiple PARTITIONs data. Someone in the forum may add more information if any.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file