Options

Error during installation of vertica management console

When i followed theinstructions in the installation document for management console I got the below messages. And there is no process running on port 5450 and also /opt/vertica directory was not installed but instead /opt/vconsole was installed but i dont see any process running on the server. please help root@vrtalbult01 tmp]# chmod 777 vertica-console-6.1.2-0.x86_64.RHEL5.rpm [root@vrtalbult01 tmp]# rpm -Uvh vertica-console-6.1.2-0.x86_64.RHEL5.rpm Preparing... ########################################### [100%] Starting installation.... 1:vertica-console ########################################### [100%] Cleaning up temp foler... Starting the vertica management console.... [root@vrtalbult01 tmp]# Attempting to load properties from /opt/vconsole/config/console.properties Starting Server... 2013-07-10 10:39:57.927:WARN:oejs.AbstractConnector:Acceptors should be <=2*availableProcessors: SslSelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:5450 STOPPED starting monitor thread 2013-07-10 10:39:57.953:INFO:oejs.Server:jetty-7.x.y-SNAPSHOT 2013-07-10 10:39:57.981:INFO:oejw.WebInfConfiguration:Extract jar:file:/opt/vcon 2013-07-10 10:40:00.682:INFO:/webui:Initializing Spring root WebApplicationConte log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.springframework.web.conte log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly. ... contextInit, derby system home from env:/opt/vconsole/mcdb/derby ---- Upgrading /opt/vconsole/config/console.properties ---- ******************************************************************************** Please open the Vertica Management Console at https://vrtalbult01.ast.lab:5450/w ******************************************************************************** 2013-07-10 10:40:43.630:INFO:/webui:Set web app root system property: 'webapp.ro 2013-07-10 10:40:43.630:INFO:/webui:Initializing log4j from [/opt/vconsole/temp/ 2013-07-10 10:40:43.655:INFO:oejsh.ContextHandler:started o.e.j.w.WebAppContext{ 2013-07-10 10:40:43.696:INFO:/webui:Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet 'appSer 2013-07-10 10:40:45.653:INFO:oejhs.SslContextFactory:Enabled Protocols [SSLv2Hel 2013-07-10 10:40:45.658:INFO:oejs.AbstractConnector:Started SslSelectChannelConn

Comments

• Options
    hi is there any updateon this?
  • Options
    I uninstalled and am trying to reinstall now. its giving me the following error [root@vrtalbult01 tmp]# rpm -Uvh vertica-console-6.1.2-0.x86_64.RHEL5.rpm Preparing... ########################################### [100%] Starting installation.... 1:vertica-console ########################################### [100%] error: unpacking of archive failed on file /opt/vconsole/lib/webui.war;51e34153: cpio: read [root@vrtalbult01 tmp]#
  • Options
    Hi Saumya, I'm not especially familiar with the Management Console, but, a few quick thoughts: First, you're correct, the management console currently installs to /opt/vconsole . This is a very recent change; it came with the new Management Console shipped with Vertica 6.1SP2, which can now optionally be installed on nodes within your Vertica cluster. (Previous versions of the MC had to be installed on a separate dedicated server.) If you're seeing install instructions that still talk about /opt/vertica , where did you find those instructions? They are probably old, and should be updated. Regarding port 5450, how long did you wait? The MC can take a minute or so to start up, depending on your system. Also, how did you test it? If you just opened it in a Web browser, were you careful to use "https://localhost:5450/"? The MC is a secure application; if you use regular http:// by mistake, some browsers give an error message that looks a lot like the error message for no service is running on that port. Regarding your current cpio error: "cpio" is the tool that rpm uses to extract the contents of a .rpm package. If it's failing, that means that the .rpm file is corrupt. I'd suggest that you download a new copy of it. Adam
  • Options
    Adam, Thanks, I was checking the 6.0 documentation thats why i missed the /opt/vconsole change. I waited for quite some time and tried opening the console using https itself still with no luck. I will try to download the package again and reinstall. However, In the 6.0 documentation it says that to install MC we need to have a vertica server too running on it. So if I try to install the server first and then the MC using the rpm it says the rpm conflicts with other and is not allowing me to install the server. why is that so? Also, in 6.1 then is it enough to just install the console rpm and start the MC without having a vertica database server running on it? Please help. I am new to this database and still learning. Thanks Saumya
  • Options
    Hi Samuya, So, the new Management Console in 6.1SP2 is actually very different from the old one. The answers to many of your questions are quite different with the two versions. (If you've been reading the old MC documentation, please read the entirety of the new documentation, and do what you can to forget what you read in the old docs; many things have completely changed.) In 6.0 (and early versions of 6.1), the MC required a dedicated computer to run it. The MC came bundled with its own dedicated copy of Vertica, for internal use only by the MC. It did not require a separate installation of Vertica; it had its own internal package. In 6.1SP2, we removed all of these requirements. The MC is now completely standalone. All of this complexity about running internal Vertica stuff and having a dedicated machine and whatnot is completely gone. The MC is just a regular package now; you can install/run it wherever you want. It does not depend on having a Vertica cluster already running. Also, if you want, it can be run on a node that is already running Vertica and they won't interfere with each other. Most of what the MC does is manage Vertica clusters. If you don't have a cluster running already, you can use the MC to install one -- give it a list of machines and a Vertica RPM (or .deb, for Debian), along with some other relevant information, and it will verify that the machines meet Vertica's system requirements and configure them as a Vertica cluster for you. If you do have a cluster running, you can set up the MC to connect to it so that you can manage the cluster through the MC. Adam
  • Options
    Thanks adam for the information. that helps. I found the cause for the failure of starting up the console. The port 5450 was closed. So after opening 5450, 5444 and 5433 the connectionw as fine. Thanks Saumya

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file