UPGRADE Vertica Community Edition from 6.0.1 to 6.1.2

Hi, I've just followed this procedure to upgrade my Vertica Community Edition from 6.0.1 to 6.1.2. I'd like to know if there is an easier different way. 1. SHUTDOWN DB 2. BACKUP VERTICA DIR: * cd /storage/home/dbadmin * mv vertica vertica_bkup 3. REMOVE OLD RPM AND INSTALL NEW ONE ( community edition 6.1.0 does not exist, so we go directly from 6.0.1 to 6.1.2 because we can't do the standard upgrade : 6.0.1 -> 6.1.0 -> 6.1.2): * rpm -e vertica-ce-6.0.1-0.x86_64 * rpm -ivh /storage/archive_file/vertica-6.1.2-0.x86_64.RHEL5.rpm * /opt/vertica/sbin/install_vertica -l /storage/home/dbadmin/ 4. RESTORE OLD VERTICA DIR: * cd /storage/home/dbadmin/ * mv vertica_bkup vertica 5. START DB after this procedure I find the new Vertica installed with the old data. please notice that I had to reinstall all the external libraries (i.e. strings_package and shell_load_package from vertica_extension_package) I'd like to know if there exist an easier way. thanks, Pietro.

Comments

• Hi Pietro, Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a substantially easier way for this particular release cycle. The 6.0 CE was somewhat limited in ways that unfortunately ended up affecting its upgradeability. Future CE upgrades should be more straightforward -- same as the EE upgrade process. Adam
  • ok thanks a lot!
  • Thanks for a guide.
    I tried to upgrade from 6.0.1 to 6.1.3.
    On step 5 Vertica don't start until I ran it manually with an additional parameter "-c".
    -c: make database consistent (clean up bad files and recover)
    Something like this:
    /opt/vertica/bin/vertica ... -h 127.0.0.1 -p 5433 -c
    After that DB successfully starts and stops from admintools.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file