Options

Is there any difference in package, installing in physical server and virtual server?

Hi, I have installed community edition in ubuntu vmware. It was working fine, but now i am getting below error when starting admintools. i have installed the package under debian linux 5/6. Is there any difference in package for virtual as well as physical? Thanks Najeeb dbadmin@vertica2:~$ admintools WARNING: Can't write to /opt/vertica/log/adminTools-dbadmin.log Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/vertica/bin/admintools", line 242, in cmdController = commandLineCtrl.commandLineCtrl(makeUniquePorts, showNodes) File "/opt/vertica/oss/python/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vertica/ui/commandLineCtrl.py", line 35, in __init__ self.__exec = adminExec.adminExec(makeUniquePorts, showNodes) File "/opt/vertica/oss/python/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vertica/engine/adminExec.py", line 138, in __init__ c = Configurator.Instance() File "/opt/vertica/oss/python/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vertica/config/Configurator.py", line 50, in Instance with FileLock( Configurator.CONFIG_FILE): File "/opt/vertica/oss/python/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vertica/config/FileLocker.py", line 67, in __enter__ self.acquire() File "/opt/vertica/oss/python/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vertica/config/FileLocker.py", line 40, in acquire self.fd = os.open(self.lockfile, os.O_CREAT|os.O_EXCL|os.O_RDWR) OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/opt/vertica/config/admintools.conf.lock'

Comments

• Options
    Hi Najeeb, In answer to your specific question: No, there is not a separate Vertica package for physical vs virtual machines. It sounds like your root filesystem on your new system has been mounted read-only for some reason. (Or whatever filesystem contains /opt/vertica/...; that's typically but not always the root filesystem.) This is not normal behavior for Debian systems. It typically happens if the hard disk or disk array starts reporting certain types of disk errors, or if the system had a problem early in the boot process and never finished starting up. You can also switch to a read-only mount manually; a sysadmin might do this to perform an "fsck" operation on a mounted filesystem, with filesystems that support it. (In which case they need to remember to switch back to read/write when they're finished!) As a disk-based database product, Vertica isn't going to be particularly useful to you if the operating system won't allow it to write stuff to disk... So I'd recommend that you take a look at the configuration of the machine in question; something's not right... It might be fixed by a simple reboot; it might be something more complicated. Adam
  • Options
    Hi Adam, My problem solved. I just rebooted the VM. Thanks, Najeeb

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file