Options

Vertica monitoring & access grants to v_monitor schema

Hello,
I'm trying to monitor Vertica from Zabbix and faced 2 problems.

First: I want to create a specific user to get available informations from v_monitor schema.

Problem is: many tables like cpu_usage, io_usage, network_usage and others require superuser rights to access them.

This sounds weird, because I definitely don't need nor want to use dbadmin account for such simple operations as monitoring.

Since monitoring only requires SELECT statements and, as far as I know, v_monitor can't be written, only read, I don't really understand why I have to use a superuser account to get informations.

Is there any way to circumvent this requirement ?
Or, how I'm supposed to do monitoring while running Vertica CE on Debian ?

Second: digging into Vertica Ganglia monitoring package, I found "select storage_statistics()". Unfortunatly, this function does not seems to exist. Is it specific to Vertice Enterprise or is it available for community Edition. If it is, how can I enable it ?

Regards,
Jean-Baptiste 

Comments

• Options

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

You could create a view of the system table that you want to monitor with this particular user and grant privilages to that view. For example :
    dbadmin=> create view test_dc as select * from cpu_usage limit 1; CREATE VIEW                               dbadmin=> grant select on  test_dc to eugenia; GRANT PRIVILEGE  dbadmin=> \c - eugenia You are now connected as user "eugenia".  dbadmin=> select * from test_dc; -[ RECORD 1 ]-------------+-------------------- node_name                 | v_v612_100_node0005 start_time                | 2013-10-04 21:05:00 end_time                  | 2013-10-04 21:06:00 average_cpu_usage_percent | 0.68  dbadmin=>

About your ganglia question, did you install Ganglia ? or you are just looking at the code? 

Hope this helps, 

Eugenia

• Options
    Hello Eugenia,

Thanks for your reply.
    I'll test creating a view asap. Sounds like it will provide me the solution I'm looking for :)

About Ganglia, no I did not installed it:
    - it's provided only as RPM packages and I use Debian
    - I don't use Ganglia

So, yes, I'm looking at the code :)
  • Options
    Hi,

Where can we find the plugin for vertica and zabbix? I found the ganglia plugin but not for zabbix,

We have some new vertica databases coming in and we are looking to monitor them using zabbix so any help would be great.

Thanks
    Saumya
  • Options
    Hi,

Is there any update on this?

Thanks
    Saumya
  • Options
    Hello Saumya,
    No update right now.
    I'm still working on this topic and have nothing publicaly available.

Will update this thread when done.
  • Options

Hi Jean,

did you get a chance to create a template for vertica on Zabbix?

Thanks

saumya

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file