Options

Database restore help

Hi, any suggestions are appreciated.  I am attempting a test restore in our dev environment.  I have the archive mounted to /mnt/usb on NODE0001.  The full path(s) is:

/mnt/usb/vertica/v_data_mart_node000X/backup_snapshot_archive20131014_190003.

This backup archive is from our production database and I am attempting to restore it to our DEV cluster (identical 4 node cluster with same IP's and hostnames as production)

I have tried the following commands from NODE0001:

# vbr.py --task restore --config-file /tmp/restore1.ini --archive=20131014_190003
# vbr.py --task restore --config-file /tmp/restore1.ini

...and I get the following error:

Please input vertica password: 
Preparing...
Cannot acquire .info file from any of the backup site.
restore failed!

I have verified dbadmin can read the file:

/mnt/usb/vertica/v_data_mart_node000X/backup_snapshot_archive20131014_190003/backup_snapshot.info

My restore1.ini is as follows:

[Misc]
snapshotName = backup_snapshot_archive20131014_190003
verticaConfig = True
restorePointLimit = 1

[Database]
dbName = data_mart
dbUser = dbadmin
dbPromptForPassword = True

[Transmission]
[Mapping0]
dbNode = v_data_mart_node0001
backupHost = localhost
#backupDir = /mnt/usb (I've tried both paths)
backupDir = /mnt/usb/vertica

[Mapping1]
dbNode = v_data_mart_node0002
backupHost = localhost
#backupDir = /mnt/usb

[Mapping2]
dbNode = v_data_mart_node0003
backupHost = localhost
#backupDir = /mnt/usb

[Mapping3]
dbNode = v_data_mart_node0004
backupHost = localhost
#backupDir = /mnt/usb

Any idea what the issue is?  -Mike

Comments

• Options
    Prasanta_PalPrasanta_Pal - Select Field - Employee
    is the /mnt/usb/vertica file system attached to all the nodes in the production severs?

The best way to do is to use the copycluster from Prod to Dev, taking backup in Prod and then restoring in Dev ( other cluster) does not work.

• Options
    Thanks for the reply.  /mnt/usb/vertica is only mounted to node0001.... it's a USB drive. 
    When you say...backing up a production database and restoring to a new cluster will not work... what do you mean? You would restore from backup in a disaster recovery scenario yes?

-Mike
  • Options
    Prasanta_PalPrasanta_Pal - Select Field - Employee
    Please follow the link to know more on restoring the database on a new cluster.
    https://my.vertica.com/docs/6.1.x/HTML/index.htm#16026.htm

• Options
    Thanks but I have read that already.  I posted the command, error, and ini file in the original post.  If there is something you can tell me about the error I am receiving or the configuration, it would surely be appreciated.  If you need more information, please let me know.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Can you retry the same script with --debug option?

For example,
    # vbr.py --task restore --config-file /tmp/restore1.ini --debug=3

Also, please check the manual:
    https://my.vertica.com/docs/6.1.x/HTML/index.htm#16929.htm

You might be able to get more information related to the error.
  • Options
    Hi Kanako, here is what I get.  Maybe I should just open a ticket?

# vbr.py --task restore --config-file /tmp/restore1.ini --debug=3
    Please input vertica password:

{'port_rsync': 50000, 'dryrun': False, 'hardLinkLocal': False, 'optNodes': [], 'verticaBinDir': '/opt/vertica/bin', 'restorePointLimit': 1, 'downNodes': [], 'verticaConfig': 'True', 'fullTopology': [], 'archiveSpecified': '', 'objects': None, 'dbOptions': '', 'configFileName': '/tmp/restore1.ini', 'nodeStates': {}, 'dbUser': 'dbadmin', 'checksum': False, 'bwlimit': 0, 'overwrite': True, 'topology': [{'dbHost': '', 'dbDir': '', 'dbNode': 'v_data_mart_node0001', 'backupHost': '127.0.0.1', 'backupDir': '/mnt/usb/vertica'}, {'dbHost': '', 'dbDir': '', 'dbNode': 'v_data_mart_node0002', 'backupHost': '127.0.0.1', 'backupDir': '/mnt/usb/vertica'}, {'dbHost': '', 'dbDir': '', 'dbNode': 'v_data_mart_node0003', 'backupHost': '127.0.0.1', 'backupDir': '/mnt/usb/vertica'}, {'dbHost': '', 'dbDir': '', 'dbNode': 'v_data_mart_node0004', 'backupHost': '127.0.0.1', 'backupDir': '/mnt/usb/vertica'}], 'dbPort': None, 'dbPassword': '########', 'encrypt': False, 'dbPromptForPassword': True, 'sqlCached': '', 'retryDelay': 1, 'logFileName': None, 'tmpDir': '/tmp/vbr', 'snapshotName': 'backup_snapshot_archive20131014_190003', 'debug': 3, 'retryCount': 2, 'dbInitiator': None, 'dbName': 'data_mart', 'upNodes': [], 'copyCtx': 'backup'}

Preparing...Cannot acquire .info file from any of the backup site.restore failed!

• Options
    Hi Mike, Thank you for getting information. I guess that your snapshot name is "backup_snapshot". Can you try to restore again with the script like this? # vbr.py --task restore --config-file /tmp/restore1.ini [Misc] snapshotName = backup_snapshot verticaConfig = True restorePointLimit = 1 [Database] dbName = data_mart dbUser = dbadmin dbPromptForPassword = True [Transmission] [Mapping0] dbNode = v_data_mart_node0001 backupHost = localhost #backupDir = /mnt/usb (I've tried both paths) backupDir = /mnt/usb/vertica [Mapping1] dbNode = v_data_mart_node0002 backupHost = localhost #backupDir = /mnt/usb backupDir = /mnt/usb/vertica [Mapping2] dbNode = v_data_mart_node0003 backupHost = localhost #backupDir = /mnt/usb backupDir = /mnt/usb/vertica [Mapping3] dbNode = v_data_mart_node0004 backupHost = localhost #backupDir = /mnt/usb backupDir = /mnt/usb/vertica Then, if you want to restore at the specific archived point, can you try to run the following command using the above script? # vbr.py --task restore --config-file /tmp/restore1.ini --archive=20131014_190003 I hope that this would help. Kanako
  • Options
    I get the same error.  I will open a ticket, but feel free to offer more feedback

restore failed!

• Options
    Sounds bad... I'm not sure whether this works fine or not. Could you please try with Private IP address instead of localhost? Can you share the log with --debug=3 option?
  • Options
    I am also getting  the same error .   The  output of  vbr.py --task restore --config-file /tmp/backup.ini  --debug=3 is  :
    [{'dbHost': '', 'dbDir': '', 'dbNode': 'v_pv_node0001', 'backupHost': '127.0.0.1', 'backupDir': '/tmp/backup'}]
    {'port_rsync': 50000, 'scpBackup': ['scp'], 'dryrun': False, 'hardLinkLocal': False, 'optNodes': [], 'verticaBinDir': '/opt/vertica/bin', 'restorePointLimit': 1, 'downNodes': [], 'scpVertica': ['scp'], 'verticaConfig': 'True', 'fullTopology': [], 'archiveSpecified': '', 'objects': None, 'dbOptions': '', 'sshVertica': ['ssh', '-x'], 'configFileName': '/tmp/backup.ini', 'nodeStates': {}, 'dbUser': 'pv_vertica', 'checksum': False, 'bwlimit': 0, 'overwrite': True, 'topology': [{'dbHost': '', 'dbDir': '', 'dbNode': 'v_pv_node0001', 'backupHost': '127.0.0.1', 'backupDir': '/tmp/backup'}], 'dbPort': None, 'dbPassword': '1PerfView*pass1234', 'encrypt': False, 'sshBackup': ['ssh', '-x'], 'dbPromptForPassword': False, 'sqlCached': '', 'retryDelay': 1, 'logFileName': None, 'tmpDir': '/tmp/vbr', 'snapshotName': 'backup', 'debug': 3, 'retryCount': 2, 'dbInitiator': None, 'dbName': 'pv', 'upNodes': [], 'copyCtx': 'backup'}
    Preparing...
    restore failed!

• Options
    I found out after hours of troubleshooting and 3 support tickets that Vertica requires the .ini file to be the same name as the snapshot name (which is utterly ridiculous), but renaming the ini solved my issue. (I was using multiple ini files to troubleshoot and test)

In your case, it looks like your backup.ini does match your snapshot name of "backup".  If that doesn't work, then you probably have other ini mapping or permission issues and probably should open a ticket.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file