Options

Need help to setup network between VMWare and desktop

I was able to install Vertica 7 community edition on my laptop.  It is on VMWare.  It is running fine. 

I have a query tool installed on my laptop desktop and I tried to connect to Vertica on the VMWare. Got a connection error "Target not accepting the request".  Looks like VMWare did not accept the query tool access request. After doing some research, found that a network should be setup between my desktop and vmware. 

Can you pls help me setup the network if you have already done it?

Comments

• Options
    See if you can ping the VMware vertica instance . If not , I would google networking setup for VMware hosts until I can ping the box. At that point , the query tool should work. This is VMware related, nothing to do with vertica.
  • Options
    Thanks Colin.

Ping responded, but neither the sql command nor the query tool not able to connect.  Pasted the error.

C:\Users>ping 127.0.0.1
    Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data&colon;Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users>vsql 
    vsql: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)        Is the server running on host "???" and accepting        TCP/IP connections on port 5433?

C:\Users>vsql -a -h 127.0.0.1 -U dbadmin -w password
    vsql: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)        Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting        TCP/IP connections on port 5433?

C:\Users\mhappys>
  • Options
    I believe you are running ping from your windows desktop and 127.0.0.1 is the local desktop not the vertica ip address on VM. Find the correct IP address ( /sbin/ifconfig) and use that instead.  The other 2 messages are understandable since vertica is not running on windows localhost ( 127.0.0.1)
  • Options
    It worked after using the other IP address.  Thanks a lot for the help.
  • Options
    Hi Colin,
    I have a similar problem. vertica DB v. 6.1.3 available on local machine's VMWare. And I am trying to access this DB using Tomcat connection pooling by configuring IP retrieved using  /sbin/ifconfig. But we are seeing connect exception inspite of ping to VMWare IP is working. Please help.
  • Options
    There could be other connectivity issues involved ( firewall, routing problems , etc). I would try telnet ip 5433 and expect to not see a connection refused response. Most likely networking between VM and tomcat is not coming through. This usually involves a bit of troubleshooting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file