Options

initiator node and load_balancing

Navin_CNavin_C Vertica Customer
Hello All,

I have implemented load_balancing in our Vertica Cluster.

Now what I want to understand is, If my application is connected to one node of vertica, then is it that the initiator node will get all the request and then distribute the request to another nodes according to connection load balancing.
Or the connection are automatically hitting different nodes of vertica on the fly without going through initiator node because of connection Load balancing.

The issue is I am seeing a lot of query count on my initiator nodes.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Abhishek_RanaAbhishek_Rana Vertica Employee Employee
    Hi,

In Load Balancing Environment,Client connections through a Virtual IP (VIP) are managed by a primary (master) director node, which is one of the real server nodes (RIP). The master director routes requests by determining which node in the database cluster has the fewest connections and sends client connections to that node.

If the director node fails for any reason, a fail-over (slave) director takes over request routing until the master director comes back online.

So in not shell, your application will always connect to any of the nodes in cluster, throught MASTER & SLAVE nodes using VIP. Connections always go through
    MASTER or SLAVE nodes of your cluster & then according to connection load, those are distributed to any of the nodes & get connected. So initiator node is
    one where connection got connected at last, but that connection was routed by MASTER/SLAVE VIP to less burdened node.

Regards'

Abhishek
  • Options
    Navin_CNavin_C Vertica Customer
    Hi Abhishek,

You are describing about HP Vertica Load balancer IPVS package .

My question is intended for Connection load balance feature included in Vertica 7.
    Which is implemented on Client side and server side to take place.

Thanks
  • Options

Hi Naveen ,

Have you got the solution for this ?

I am facing the same issue regarding load balancing

Below is the sql and the output .

select  node_name,count(*) from query_requests group by 1;

node_name                count
    v_pmdb_node0001    77895
    v_pmdb_node0002    2393
    v_pmdb_node0003    15

I have set the load balance policy to roundrobin and ksafe 1 with 3 nodes

Can you tell me why the load is not distributed and what all I need to do further

• Options

Deb/Navin, Any solution on this on load not distributing?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file