Options

Time service Task Error

Navin_CNavin_C Vertica Customer
Hello All,

Going through the management console, I see it is giving many warnings, stating "Time Service Task Error"
There is no documentation on these warnings .
what are these warnings and what are causing them.

Any document which states all these warnings and errors and their causes.
I think management console should have it own manual now.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Navin

As per the vertica guide Timer Service Task Error is related to an error  that occurred in an internal scheduled task.

Kindly check below vertica documented link for more info on such time of warning/error events

https://my.vertica.com/docs/6.1.x/HTML/index.htm#18374.htm

Use can query "event_configurations" system table to to get information about such events

vsql => SELECT * FROM event_configurations;

Kindly go through below link for detailed info on this

https://my.vertica.com/docs/6.1.x/HTML/index.htm#16540.htm

I believe this is the information which you are looking for.

Regards
    Rahul
  • Options
    Thanks Rahul,

where can I get detailed info on this.....as I am seeing lot of these error messages.
    I want to know what is being wrong with internal scheduled task
  • Options
    Seeing this again in the Vertica.log file.

I don't know whether this is the reason for my nodes to switch to RECOVERING state .

I checked in the node_states  table / monitoring_events table, it shows no down state, but shows RECOVERING and INITIALIZING state.

My question is:
    Is it possible for a node to directly switch into INITIALIZING state from UP state. I am seeing too frequent on my nodes.
    Then it comes to RECOVERING state and locks every single object in database.

What is time Service Task error related to  and how can we solve it?

Thanks
    NC

• Options

I recently investigated similar errors at another client site and here is the reason.

You will get this message in MC as well as the vertica.log when some internal Vertica tasks are unable to complete at the designated time.

In this client site, the Tuple Mover Moveout process could not complete as there was an X lock held by a user process on a particular table / projection. There were several instances of this error on other nodes of the cluster as well.

So, in order to investigate the reason on your site, please look at the vertica.log and search for 'Timer Service' and you should see the reason for the same. 

Depending on what caused it, take appropriate actions. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file