Options

management console inconsistent info on nodes

Navin_CNavin_C Vertica Customer
Hello All,

This thing caught my attention when we were trying to look at the cluster state in the Manage tab of MC.

In Manage tab, we can see all the nodes and their health, status and much more info.

My problem is.
For 1 cluster
1. I can't see consistent info on all nodes, first 5 nodes I have IP, em1,p2p1,status for first 5 nodes and for last 5 nodes IP, name, status,total mem.
Where does vertica get this info from? why is it not uniform accros the cluster.
If this info is fetched from /etc/hosts file on every server, for first 5 nodes all the /etc/hosts file are same and for last 5 nodes all are same, but in both group they are different.
If there is a problem with /etc/hosts file , what is the standard format to write a /etc/hosts file.
I tried the documentation, but no info on this.
secondly , if I make changes to /etc/hosts file, it does not reflect in MC, even after refreshing / Logout and Login.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hello All,

Can anyone explain me this.
    Also what is the standard format for /etc/hosts file for Vertica
  • Options
    Still stuck on this issue....
    any updates on this
  • Options
    Hm... I don't know offhand why this would be inconsistent across different nodes. Regarding /etc/hosts: That file isn't a Vertica-specific file; it's a standard Linux file used by all programs on your computer that communicate over the network. There's lots of documentation for it online. Running "man 5 hosts" on your Linux machines should bring up the official Linux documentation. Vertica just requires that all hostnames resolve consistently and as intended on all machines in your cluster. Properly configuring your network's DNS server is the simple way to do this; but it can be unreliable because a large cluster of machines can easily generate enough DNS requests to overwhelm a typical DNS server, causing network problems. (Vertica itself tries to use IP addresses directly whenever possible so as to avoid this problem; this is most likely to happen with third-party libraries or ETL tools.) Writing a /etc/hosts file, and ensuring that it's identical across all nodes in your cluster, is another way to achieve the same thing. (Note that /etc/hosts has no direct impact on the MC display; it just matches hostnames to IP addresses. But if you have a hostname pointing at the wrong IP address in one node's /etc/hosts, that can certainly cause confusion.)
  • Options
    Hi Adam,

Thanks for the explanation.
    How can we take this case further ?

• Options
    Hi Navin,

If this is a 10-node cluster, it's certainly bigger than the 3-node limit for the Community license, so it must be under an Enterprise account.  I'd suggest filing a support case at http://my.vertica.com/ and asking for further information.

Adam

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file