Options

ldap setup

I got request lap setup. What do I have to do to setup LDAP on vertica db?

Comments

• Options
    Hello Sang,

What version of Vertica are you trying to integrate with LDAP? I will post a documentation link once I have this information.

Thanks!
    Rory
  • Options
    we have vertica 6.1.2.

Thanks,

Sang
  • Options
    Hello Sang,

Thanks for the Vertica version! As a heads up, our 6.1.x Online Documentation can be searched at the following link:

https://my.vertica.com/docs/6.1.x/HTML/index.htm

We outline the steps for configuring LDAP at the following link:

https://my.vertica.com/docs/6.1.x/HTML/index.htm#18816.htm

Thanks,
    Rory
  • Options
    Hi Rory,

So, simply put the "ClientAuthentication" to vertica.conf file over the all vertica db servers?

Could you give me some brief steps to configure it?

Thanks,

Sang
  • Options
    Hello Sang,

Yes, the "ClientAuthentication" string is set in the vertica.conf file via AdminTools. To get there in Admintools:

1. /opt/vertica/bin/admintools
    2. Configuration Menu
    3. Edit Authentication
    4. Select the database
    5. Enter your authentication string
    6. Save the changes
    7. Restart your database for the changes to take place

Additional information is located at: https://my.vertica.com/docs/6.1.x/HTML/index.htm#10959.htm

Thanks,
    Rory
  • Options
    Hello Rory,

I appreciate you for the response. I will try it on my database.

Thanks,

Sang
  • Options
    Hello Sang,

You're welcome. Good luck with the implementation!

Thanks,
    Rory
  • Options
    if host names are vrtdb1t.portal.webmd.com, vrtdb2t.portal.webmd.com and vrtdb3t.portal.webmd.com, what should the ClientAuthentication be?

ClientAuthentication = host all 10.0.0.0/8 ldap "ldap://ldap.example.com/basedn;cn=;,dc=example,dc=com" from docutment.

Thanks,

Sang
  • Options
    Hello Sang,

Example authentications are available here:

https://my.vertica.com/docs/6.1.x/HTML/index.htm#11050.htm

Thanks,
    Rory
  • Options
    Rory,

Please don't link the document and modify the the example with my db servers. Document you link makes me more confused.

Thanks,

Sang
  • Options
    Hello Sang,

It is up to you on how you want to setup your environment. From the example in the documentation, yours would be (using dbadmin as a username in the example):

ClientAuthentication = host dbadmin <IP address of the host1>/32 reject

ClientAuthentication = host dbadmin <IP address of another host2>/32 trust

ClientAuthentication = host dbadmin <IP address of third host3>/32 trust

ClientAuthentication = host all 0.0.0.0/0 password

ClientAuthentication = local all password

The first two records apply only to the user dbadmin. If dbadmin attempts to connect from <IP address of the host1>, the first record is used to authenticate the user, which rejects the connection attempt. If dbadmin attempts to connect from <IP address of the host2>, the user is allowed to connect automatically. If dbadmin attempts to log in from any other remote system, the third record matches, and the user must enter a password. Finally, if the user attempts to connect locally from a node in the cluster, the fourth record applies, and the user again has to enter a password to authenticate. For all other users, the third and fourth record are used to authenticate them using password authentication. The first two records are ignored, since their user name doesn't match the name in the record.

The ordering of the records is important. If the order of the records were reversed, so that the wildcard rule was first, the rules that are specific to dbadmin would never be used. The wildcard or local rule would always match, and HP Vertica would use the password authentication, no matter where dbadmin connected from.

We see that you're a Vertica customer. If you need further assistance with the setup, we suggest you open a case with Technical Support and we'll be happy to assist you.

Thanks,
    Rory

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file