Options

VJDBC(5273) R RJDBC Fatal at Random

In R I have been using RJDBC on my local to connect to our Vertica cluster using:
>  vdriver <- JDBC(driverClass="com.vertica.jdbc.Driver", classPath="C:/vertica-jdk5-6.1.2-0.jar")
vertica = dbConnect(vDriver, "jdbc:vertica://[server_name]:5433/[database]", "[uid]", "[password]")

For the past few days it has connected fine, & ran the desired queries. 
However eventually I am get the following error:
Error in .jcall(drv@jdrv, "Ljava/sql/Connection;", "connect", as.character(url)[1],  :   java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: [Vertica][VJDBC](5273) FATAL: Unsupported frontend protocol 3.4: server supports 3.0 to 3.3
I have verified that I am using the correct driver version and am able to connect with other tools such as DBeaver or DBVisualizer. Has anyone else had this issue? I have reinstalled RJDBC, used different R installations, restarted the system. nothing seems to work.

'RJDBC' was built under R version 2.15.3 

R Version:
platform       x86_64-pc-mingw32            arch           x86_64                       
os             mingw32                      
system         x86_64, mingw32              
status                                      
major          2                            
minor          15.0                         
year           2012                         
month          03                           
day            30                           
svn rev        58871                        
language       R                            
version.string R version 2.15.0 (2012-03-30)

Comments

• Options
    Prasanta_PalPrasanta_Pal - Select Field - Employee
    Have you upgraded/re-installed R or any other package  or it started NOT working suddenly? 
  • Options
    It started NOT working suddenly. I went ahead and re-installed R, still it isn't functioning.
    In an attempt to get things up and running again I went and installed the Client for Windows. Oddly, I have to reinstall Vertica's .Net Client (vertica-client-6.1.3-0.32.exe) every startup, other wise I get a 
    [RODBC] ERROR: state IM014, code 0, message [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application
    Incidentally when I install the driver, while SQL Management Studio (2008R2 / 2012) is closed, I get an "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" Every time I attempt to start it or Visual Studio 2008 / 2010 / 2012
    Once I restart my machine, the Vertica Driver is 'missing', SMS runs correctly, and the RODBC returns to giving the aforementioned error. It seems like there is a registry conflict between teh vertica-client / the jdbc driver / and windows. Would any one have any ideas on how to remedy this?
    Current Version of R:
    platform       x86_64-w64-mingw32          arch           x86_64                      
    os             mingw32                     
    system         x86_64, mingw32             
    status                                     
    major          3                           
    minor          1.0                         
    year           2014                        
    month          04                          
    day            10                          
    svn rev        65387                       
    language       R                           
    version.string R version 3.1.0 (2014-04-10)
    nickname       Spring Dance  
    R package is: RODBC_1.3-10

I am running:
    MS Sql Server 2008 R2 / 2012(x64)
    Visual Studio 2008 / 2010 / 2012

The consequences . . .  my R algorithm development and my ETL efforts are disconnected and I have to restart when switching between tasks. . . 
    Oh. . . Incidentally, I have been able to replicate this on another Window's 7 (x86) machine. . . same story second verse
  • Options
    I am getting the same error (though I have never gotten it to work). Thanks for any help:

Error in .jcall(drv@jdrv, "Ljava/sql/Connection;", "connect", as.character(url)[1],  :   java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: [Vertica][VJDBC](5273) FATAL: Unsupported frontend protocol 3.4: server supports 3.0 to 3.3

• Options
    Some additional information, I recently ran into this error.

I have two clusters, first one has Vertica 6.1 installed (and a running Vertica DB). Second one has Vertica 7.1 installed (and a second independent Vertica DB).

By using a putty console i can connect to each cluster, then use vsql to connect to their correspondent Vertica DB. However, if I connect to cluster #2 and try to connect to the Vertica DB of cluster #1 it returns the error

I am convinced this has to do with the driver version that vsql is using in cluster # 2.

Hope this helps you =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file