Options

How Partition is different in Vertica compare to Oracle and managing partitions in vertica

I am trying to build the similar  tables of Oracle with partitions and snapshot by month which is partitions in Vertica. Not sure if I can do same partitions in Vertica and does partitions will stored in each node or each node will have different partitions. Query performance  will improve or degrade.

Can someone please share your ideas or thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Adrian for quick response. Any guide lines to follow when creating the partitions in vertica. I want to create the table in vertica with monthly partition base on date field have in the table. Just wonder how it will be stored in each node and retrieve data will work  with the corresponding node.
    On the top if created the projections will it work with the partition table and does it degrade the performance ?
  • Options
    Navin_CNavin_C Vertica Customer
    Hello Vir,

Starting from you first posts's question 
    Not sure if I can do same partitions in Vertica and does partitions will stored in each node or each node will have different partitions
    Partitions in Vertica work like any other partitions in other database with some limited functionality
    ( not with all the functionality like Oracle) . You can move partitions, drop partitions.
    Partition storage on each / or only one depends on the table data distribution.

There can be three scenario where I can see such questions arising
    1. When table is segmented on all nodes
    2. When table is unsegmented on all nodes
    3. When table is segmented only on one node( all data only on one node)
    Lets go through what will happen in each scenario.

Example :
    We have three tables according to above scenario:
    Table A - segmented on all nodes
    Table B - unsegmented on all nodes
    Table C - segmented only on one node
    Partition on all tables with monthly expression on a date column.
    Data in all tables from Nov 2011 to July 2012

1. In Table A the there will be 9 partitions on each node. The 9 partitions will be similar on each node, besides the data will be different on each node ( remember - the data is segmented on some unique ID and not the date column )
    2. In Table B there will be 9 partitions again on each node. The 9 partition will be similar on each node and the data will also be similar on each node's 9 partitions.
    3. In Table C there will be 9 partitions on the node where table is segmented and there will be all data which is partitioned in this node only.

Coming to second question
     Any guide lines to follow when creating the partitions in vertica. I want to create the table in vertica with monthly partition base on date field have in the table
    Guidelines :
    1. Take care you do not exceed partitions by 1024 ( this is hard limit on each node)
    2. If you are creating partition in each node with date field and monthly expression,perhaps hats the best partition to do in Vertica ( In such a way, you won't exceed the limit)
    3. Managing partition is another aspect, and you need to monitor and take care of this (Managing - Droping /Moving /Purging)

Coming to your last question
    On the top if created the projections will it work with the partition table and does it degrade the performance ?
    In Vertica Partitioning is a table property and projections are altogether different objects.
    So you can create projections on tables, whether or not they have partition, it does not affect the projections.
    Partition help in partition pruning ( a feature of vertica wheren scanning of partition which are not in predicate clause are eliminated, thus increasing the performance) , so it is good to have partitions.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Hi Vir

Which use case you try to address by using partition ? are you plan to use it for purging ? or it for performance ?  , for purging  you will do benefited for it , performance point in most use cases you will not  see much differences .  

• Options
    Thanks all for quick responses. Navin thanks with excellent examples, it definitely help me. One of criteria to improve performance and purging and also currently we have in oracle base on partition where informatica loads data totally different partition while loading and another partition is available for view and once load completes it purges the old partition and keep it new partition for view this is for daily loads for month and once it reaches to month end keep the month end partition.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    Hi Vir,

Glad that it helped you.

Considering your scenario, where you load into one partition and have replica of same partition available for View, this can help you have same functionality in vertica

Moving partitions 

You can use stage tables to do it, Load into stage table and Keep target table always available for views. Move partitions from source / stage table to target tables..

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks, Navin will plan to use the stage & target tables.
  • Options
    Quick question Vertica documentation states Partition can be done in Fact tables not good for dimensional tables and I have in oracle with large dimensional table which is partition and try to do same in Vertica not sure will be ok to do it ?
  • Options
    Hello Vir,

Vertica suggest each dimension table to be replicated on all nodes so as to facilitate your joins between Fact and dimensions to be faster ( If the dimensional tables are small enough ). 

In Vertica Partitioning provides faster data purging and better query performance by segregating data on each node.

In your case, If you have large dimensional table comparable with your fact table, then you should think of going for partitions on dimension tables and also segmenting it on all nodes.
    One more thing Vertica assumes your dimensional tables will be small and accordingly the statement in documentation states it to be without partitions.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks, Navin with prompt reply.

I will try with adding partition to the dimensional table and see the performance and let you know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file