Options

What is the difference between Vertica Place and the geospatial SQL Functions?

Hi all,

in Vertica Marketplace I have found HP Vertica Place. On the other side I have seen in the Vertica 7.0 SQL Reference Manual that already in Vertica there are several geospatial functions. What value add Vertica Place to already existing geospatial functions?

Thanks and best regards,
Rodrigo.

Comments

• Options

HP Vertica Place provides a comprehensive set of Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standard SQL geospatial functions that are not available in primitive functions in the prior release. Following are the key value add with new Place functionality.

1. Native SQL support for Geometry and Geography data types. Geometry provide users to specify points, lines, polygons etc. on planer coordinate system. For example, you could represent a state, county, town, a shopping complex etc. Similarly Geography provide users to specify point, line, polygons etc. on a Spherical model.

2. OGC based SQL functions, such as ST_INTERSECT provides ability to do spatial joins. For example, you would like to find list of customers that visited a particular shop in a shopping complex can be captured by joining 'shop' polygon with customer location points captured by a location enabled phone etc.

3. Place provides ability to index polygons to do high performance spatial joins in Vertica.

For more details refer to Place documentation http://my.vertica.com/docs/7.1.x/HTML/index.htm#Authoring/Place/PlaceGuide.htm 

Hope this helps

Sunil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file