Options

default authentication method

Documentation for Vertica 7.1 under "How Client Authentication Works"  says: The DBADMIN user can also create a default authentication method that HP Vertica uses when no authentication has been assigned to a user or role.

However, it is not clear anywhere in the documentation how one actually creates a default authentication method.  I can create an authentication method and grant that method to a specific user.  Once I do that, no other users are able to connect.  All users are authenticating from a HOST that is not the vertica server.

I see in the table login_failures that the failed logins are coming from an authentication method Reject, and the client_authentication_name column contains "default: Reject."

How do you create a default authentication method for all users?

How do you view this default authentication method "default: Reject." in the system tables or maybe some configuration file?  I dont' find it in the table client_auth?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jon, in 7.1 you would use public for all users which would be considered the default authentication.
    Once an authentication method is defined you can GRANT to public (all users).

GRANT AUTHENTICATION <name> TO public;
    All details can be found in our documentation section called:
    "Upgrading Client Authentication Records from vertica.conf to the Catalog"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file