Options

Backup fails, Urgent!

Hi,
We run Vertica on single node on amazon ec2.
 i need urgently to backup it. i added new ebs, and mapped it to /vertica/backup
and keep failing to backup it localy on the same node. i tried all options in "backuphost" like (127.0.01, local ip, localhost etc.)

this is my config file:

[Misc]
snapshotName = luckyplay
verticaConfig = True
restorePointLimit = 1
objects = no

[Database]
dbName = LuckyPlay
dbUser = dbadmin
dbPassword = **********

[Mapping0]
dbNode = v_luckyplay_node0001
backupHost =
backupDir = /vertica/backup

and the result is:

[dbadmin@ip-1*-7*-***-** vertica]$ /opt/vertica/bin/vbr.py --task backup --config-file /vertica/luckyplay.ini
Preparing...
Found Database port:  5433
ERROR 5211:  Unknown or unsupported object: no
When communicating with vertica, the process failed with code 1
backup failed!
Retrying... #1
backup failed!
Retrying... #2
backup failed!

Thanks in advance
Amit

Comments

• Options
    Hi!

Remove parameter to option object, i.e. it should look:
    [Misc]
    snapshotName = luckyplay
    verticaConfig = True
    restorePointLimit = 1
    objects =

• Options
    Thanks,
    it seemed to work, now if i disconnect this ebs and reconnect it on another instanace, would i be able to restore it there?

Thanks again
    AmitG
  • Options
    Hi!

Yes, but with limitations:
    • backup succeeded
    • another instance has identical database topology: dbname and #nodes
    • another instance is down
    http://my.vertica.com/docs/7.1.x/HTML/index.htm#Authoring/AdministratorsGuide/BackupRestore/Restorin...
    Restoring Full Database Backups

To restore a full database backup, you must ensure that:

• The database is down. You cannot restore a full backup when the database is running.
    • All of the backup hosts are up and available.
    • The backup directory exists and contains the backups from which to restore.
    • The cluster to which you are restoring the backup has the same number of hosts as the one used to create the backup. The node names and the IP addresses must also be identical.
    • The database you are restoring must already exist on the cluster to which you are restoring data. The database can be completely empty without any data or schema. As long as the database name matches the name in the backup, and all of the node names match the names of the nodes in the configuration file, you can restore to it.

You can use only a full database backup to restore a database from scratch. If you have saved multiple backup archives, you can restore from either the last backup, or a specific archive.

When you restore a full database backup, OIDs from each backup (including all archives) in the same backup are injected into the restored catalog of the full database backup. Additionally, the OID generator and current epoch are set to the respective maximum OID and epoch from the full database backup.

to overcome a limitation of "same IP": http://www.verticablog.com/change-node-ip-address-vertica-7-1-version/#.VK2TfV0vDVM

Actually Adrian Oprea is an expert in this question. Try to ask him: Cheers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file