Vertica 6.1 - Single node to cluster

I've inhereted a single node Vertica 6.1 instance and now have a requirement to make it a cluster (also 6.1).  I have performed copy cluster in the past between 3 node clusters although this is a bit different since the source Vertica instance in this case was installed as a single node (So they tell me).

My first question is how do I validate that it is indeed a single node install?  When I go into adminTools, the option to add a node to the cluster is there so if I'm lucky I may just be able to add nodes to it.

Next question, if it is in fact single node and cannot be expanded, How do I magrate the data from the single node into the cluster?  I was thinking of installing the new 3 node cluster, removing two of the nodes, doing a copy cluster to the single node that is still in the new cluster and then adding the two nodes back in.  Will the copy cluster from the non-clustered source infact make the destination non-clusterable?

Being that we dont want to loose the data in the existing vertica server, how do I go about migrating to a cluster?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi

Kindly find the answers to your question as below:

Q1) My first question is how do I validate that it is indeed a single node install? When I go into adminTools, the option to add a node to the cluster is there so if I'm lucky I may just be able to add nodes to it.

Answer: You can run below command to validate the same as it will list the participating nodes in the cluster (which in your case should be one).

$ admintools -t list_allnodes

Q2) Next question, if it is in fact single node and cannot be expanded, How do I migrate the data from the single node into the cluster? I was thinking of installing the new 3 node cluster, removing two of the nodes, doing a copy cluster to the single node that is still in the new cluster and then adding the two nodes back in. Will the copy cluster from the non-clustered source infact make the destination non-clusterable?

Answer: I don't see any reason why this single node can't be expanded into multi node cluster until & unless you have hardware limitation.I would suggest you to go to below documented link for the same:

http://my.vertica.com/docs/7.1.x/HTML/index.htm#Authoring/AdministratorsGuide/ManageNodes/AddingNodes.htm%3FTocPath%3DAdministrator's%2520Guide%7CManaging%2520the%2520Database%7CManaging%2520Nodes%7CAdding%2520Nodes%7C_____0

Let us know if still faces any issues while adding nodes in the cluster.

Regards

Rahul Choudhary

• Just heads up, if the single node instance was installed with localhost or 127.0.0.1, you will have trouble adding other nodes. If this is the case, I recommend you to open another forum to discuss how to change the IP. If the instance is not in localhost , you should be just fine by adding the other 2 nodes based on the documentation steps. Please note that when going from 1 node to 3 you should change the system k-safe to 1 and rebalance. If you have 3 nodes you should take advantage of the high availability.

HTH,

Eugenia

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file