Is the outer join done in multiple thread?

I am using the following SQL to check

Select operator_name,count(*) from v_monitor.execution_engine_profiles where transaction_id=XXX

and statement_id=1
and counter_name ='clock time (us)' group by operator_name

When use inner join  (hash), the result is:

GroupByPipe240
Root1
NewEENode6
ExprEval240
GroupByHash240
ParallelUnion130
Scan245
Join240

But if use left join, the result is:

Root1
NewEENode6
ExprEval5
GroupByPipe10
Scan245
Join5
Filter5
Sort5

Consider I have a cluster of 5 nodes, so looks like vertica can only sue one thread per node for outer join but use multiple threads each node for inner join.

I have SQL wich has many left join and the performane is very bad comparing with sql server, sql server could do outer join in multiple thread mode, why vertica can't use multiple threads for outer join?

Comments

• Can you add the query ( or a simplified version of it ) ? Also, can you check explain local verbose SQLQUERY ? It shows worker thread information for the query. Try it for both inner and outer join query. Publish the results if you can.  It would be useful to know if the operation is singlethreaded or not and whether it could be made multithreaded. My expectation is that left joins are no different than inner joins and could be run multithreaded with multiple threads  splitting the left side of the left outer join. 

•  

The query is:

select a.store_key,count(*) from PNG_WALGRN_JOHN.SPD_FACT_PIVOT a left join PNG_WALGRN_JOHN.SPD_FACT_PIVOT b on a.item_key=b.store_key
    where a.period_key=20150713
    group by a.store_key;

That's a left  join, it's run in parrallel of join on each ndoe, but if replace left join with inner jion, then it's run in single thread in in node.

Attached is the local verbose plan.

• I have provided the explain file, could anyone help? Why inner join could run in parallel inside a node, but left join can't 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file