Options

AWS

Hi All,

I need to upgrade my Vertica version from 6.0 to 7.1. I have 3 nodes cluster on AWS. What is the best way to perform this upgrade ? I have gone through few documents and figure it out that I will have to create a new instance on AWS with 3 nodes with the new supported instances and then install vertica 7.1 and then move the data from older cluster to new. Can't we upgrade directly on the existing cluster? 

I can't go for copycluster while doing the data movement because of certain limitations (we have encrypted data).

So we will have to go for EXPORT/COPY FROM utility of Vertica. 

Any suggestion is highly appreciated!!

Thanks,

AB

Comments

• Options

Hi,

If you can afford some downtime i suddgest to do the following.

• 1 - Backs up current vertica.conf files.
    • 2 - Export Statistics

SELECT EXPORT_STATISTICS('/vertica_bkp/backup/stats_before.xml');

• 3 - Stop Vertica database cleanly on the AWS 
    • 4 - Stop your AWs nodes.
    • 5 - Take an image of each of your nodes as 'pre-upgrade snapshoot'.
    • 6 - Start you AWS nodes.
    • 7 - If you have R installed you need ot remove it before upgrading.

- make sure you save all your R pkgs or what ever you installed outside the normall R pkgs

• 8 - Install the New Version of RPM on your Servers(on all nodes)

rpm -Uvh vertica-*.rpm

• 9 - Update Vertica

/opt/vertica/sbin/update_vertica --rpm /staging_area/vertica-*.rpm

• 10 - Start Vertica 

admintools -t start_db -F -d db_name -p

• 11 - Import Statistics 

select IMPORT_STATISTICS('/staging_area/stats_before.xml');

• 12 - Install the R-Lang for the Installed Version of the Vertica Database if you had one.
    • 13 - Check the client version for your users or your app server (INFORMATICA,MICROSTRATEGY or any other tools your use to connect to your Vertica database).

- also ODBC,JDBC drivers also have to be reviewd.

And that is about it.

Rollback Plan (there is no downgrade in Vertica) - so that is why i use the image step so i can keep it for few weeks there in case you face some bugs or what ever that might make your db bad.(sure there will be some extra work in getting this back to normal/ getting the data up-to-date)

- it all goes bad ?! then stop AWS nodes, and restore the old version of your nodes using the images created at step 5. (make sure you keep the same ip addresses or you wont be able to start it :) ).

I have upgraded like this 3 times already.

- hope this helped.

• Options

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer !!

i have still few questions:

1. From the above steps , I understand that I need to take an image of Vertica 6.0(current) and put it on a S3 storage (or anywhere).Then do the upgrade on the existing cluster as . Is my understanding correct? Is Vertica 7.0 compatible with the AMI that is currently supported by 6.0?
    2. What should be the available size I should consider to store export_statistics ?
    3. Is it possible to upgrade from version 6.0.2 to 7.1.1 directly or we need to upgrade to 6.1 first and then 7.1?

Thanks in advance !!

Regards,

AB

• Options

1. From the above steps , I understand that I need to take an image of Vertica 6.0(current) and put it on a S3 storage (or anywhere).Then do the upgrade on the existing cluster as . Is my understanding correct? Is Vertica 7.0 compatible with the AMI that is currently supported by 6.0?

Not sure i understand what your question about the AMI support ?!

Are you reffering ot the operational system ?

2. What should be the available size I should consider to store export_statistics ?

- this will about 20 mb to 50 mb maybe.

3. Is it possible to upgrade from version 6.0.2 to 7.1.1 directly or we need to upgrade to 6.1 first and then 7.1?

This are the upgtrade paths you need ot follow.

• HP Vertica 3.5 to 4.0
    • HP Vertica 4.0 to 4.1
    • HP Vertica 4.1 to 5.0
    • HP Vertica 4.1 to 5.1
    • HP Vertica 5.0 to 5.1
    • HP Vertica 5.0 to 6.0
    • HP Vertica 5.1 to 6.0
    • HP Vertica 6.0 to 6.1
    • HP Vertica 6.1 to 7.0
    • HP Vertica 7.0 to 7.1
  • Options

Thanks Adrian !!

So the above steps can be followed if we can afford Downtime. What if we don't want any Downtime and do the upgrade. Can we clone the existing instance and do the upgrade? Any idea what steps to be followed if we want to clone and do the upgrade task?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated !!

Thanks,

AB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file