negative partition_key in partitions table?

Does it make sense for the partition_key to be negative? I am seeing the following error in my application and then the following error on vertica.

011org.springframework.dao.DataAccessResourceFailureException: StatementCallback; SQL [SELECT DROP_PARTITION('<table name>', -17875912)]; [Vertica][VJDBC](5060) ERROR: Too many data partitions; nested exception is java.sql.SQLNonTransientException: [Vertica][VJDBC](5060) ERROR: Too many data partitions

vertica: Event Posted: Event Code:14 Event Id:261 Event Severity: Warning [4] PostedTimestamp: 2015-12-22 16:49:11.907154 ExpirationTimestamp: 2015-12-22 16:49:26.907154 EventCodeDescription: Timer Service Task Error ProblemDescription: threadShim: Too many data partitions DatabaseName: <db name> Hostname: <node hostname>

The above occured with following settings in place:

ALTER DATABASE <db name> SET MergeOutInterval = 60;
ALTER RESOURCE POOL tm MEMORYSIZE '2G' MAXCONCURRENCY 6;
ALTER DATABASE <db name> SET MergeoutCache = 1;

What should I be investigating to figure out the "too many data paritions" errors? 

Comments

• Hi ,

Vertica has  limitation with  the amount of partitions  per table , it can’t be more then  it up to 1024  , but in fact it  must be much less , to continue advice you ,your need to provide more details about your use case    .

Like  :

• In general , what you trying to achieve
    • Table and projection design
    • Output of select from partition where projection_name like ‘your projection_name’

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file