Options

Upgrade Vertica 7.1.2 to 7.2.1

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my Vertica environment from version 7.1.2 to version 7.2.1.
After I installed the new HP Vertica Server RPM, by command:
rpm -Uvh /home/dbadmin/vertica-x86_64.RHEL6.rpm

I'm running the upgrade command:
/opt/vertica/sbin/update_vertica --rpm /home/dbadmin/vertica-7.2.1-0.x86_64.RHEL6.rpm

Than I'm getting the following error:
>> Validating software versions (rpm or deb)...

RPM must be upgraded locally, first.
Local version = 7.1.2-000
RPM version = 7.2.1-000
Installation FAILED with errors

Why? :(
Do I need to upgrade to 7.2.0 first?

Your help please.
Thanks
Chen

Comments

• Options

Hi 

What type of vertica cluster you have (how many nodes ) ?  looks like your local server  , the one that you run the update_vertica command still include old version !

You can check your current  version using the below command :

rpm -qa|grep -i vertica 

Thanks 

• Options

Hi eli_revach,

When I'm running the rpm -qa|grep -i vertica  command, I'm getting:
    vertica-7.1.2-0.x86_64 (the correct running Vertica version)
    vertica-console-7.1.2-0.x86_64

• Options

Hi 

You mention you execute rpm -Uvh /home/dbadmin/vertica-x86_64.RHEL6.rpm , this rpm file is for  7.2  or  7.1.2 ?

For upgrade you need to run rpm upgrad with the new rpm and then run the vertica script .

Thanks .

• Options

Sorry ... the command is:
    rpm -Uvh vertica-7.1.2-0.x86_64.RHEL5.rpm

• Options

Sorry ... the command is:
    rpm -Uvh /home/dbadmin/vertica-7.2.1-0.x86_64.RHEL6.rpm

• Options

You say :

When I'm running the rpm -qa|grep -i vertica  command, I'm getting:
    vertica-7.1.2-0.x86_64 (the correct running Vertica version) 
    vertica-console-7.1.2-0.x86_64

According to your last replay you failed to install the rpm on your server (the  above output show that the  previous version is still exists) .

Do you get  any error when you try to run the  upgrade RPM  (rpm -Uvh /home/dbadmin/vertica-7.2.1-0.x86_64.RHEL6.rpm ) ?

• Options

From the begining ... I have 3 node cluster Vertica environment that runs version 7.1.2 and I want to upgrade it to 7.2.1 ...

If I run "rpm -qa | grep vertica" I'm getting the current version of Vertica that I have on the environment "vertica-7.1.2-0.x86_64" (on each node).

Now I want to upgrade this version, so:
    1. I stopped the database.
    2. I installed the new HP Vertica Server RPM - "rpm -Uvh /home/dbadmin/vertica-7.2.1-0.x86_64.RHEL6.rpm"
    3. Now ... When I try to run "/opt/vertica/sbin/update_vertica --rpm /home/dbadmin/vertica-7.2.1-0.x86_64.RHEL6.rpm" to upgrade the current Vertica version from 7.1.2 to 7.2.1ת I'm getting the error
    "RPM must be upgraded locally, first.
    Local version = 7.1.2-000
    RPM version = 7.2.1-000
    Installation FAILED with errors."

I don't need to uninstall the 7.1.2 version to upgrade to 7.2.1 ... right ? so why I'm getting this error??? :(

• Options
    For cluster upgrad , you need to add --hosts <list of you nodes in the cluster>.
  • Options
    SruthiASruthiA Vertica Employee Administrator

Hi,

Can you share me the output of ps-ef|grep vertica

Sruthi

• Options

Hi

When you want to upgrad the database, you don't need to add --hosts/-s host_list parameter, as the upgrade script automatically determines the hosts in the cluster.

• Options

[dbadmin@verticadev-va01 ~]$ ps -ef|grep vertica
    root 1237 1 0 2015 ? 00:00:00 /sbin/dhclient -H verticadev-va01.5min.aol.com -q -cf /etc/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.conf -lf /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth0.leases -pf /var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid eth0
    dbadmin 1780 1 0 2015 ? 00:00:00 /bin/bash /opt/vertica/agent/agent.sh /opt/vertica/config/users/dbadmin/agent.conf
    dbadmin 1794 1780 0 2015 ? 08:40:55 /opt/vertica/oss/python/bin/python ./simply_fast.py
    dbadmin 19727 19691 0 07:09 pts/0 00:00:00 grep vertica

Same on all 3 nodes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file