Options

Getting “LDAP authentication failed” when connecting to Vertica via JDBC

I'm trying to connect to a Vertica 7.1.1 database using DBeaver. I've downloaded the 7.1.2 JDBC driver (I couldn't find a 7.1.1 driver available for download) and configured DBeaver to use it.

When I try to connect via DBeaver I get this:

```

SQLInvalidAuthorizationSpecException: [Vertica][VJDBC](3846)
FATAL: LDAP authentication failed for user "my_username"

```

If I try connecting with an invalid username, I get a different error message:

```

SQLInvalidAuthorizationSpecException: [Vertica][VJDBC](3781)
FATAL: Invalid username or password

```

This confirms that I am reaching Vertica fine, but something is going wrong when I try to authenticate with my correct username.

I am able to connect to Vertica from the same host via vsql without issue.

I came across this post, which suggested that a Vertica setting may be the issue. However, we already have TLS_REQCERT allow set, as that post recommended.

What could be the issue here? Why would vsql work, but DBeaver not work from the same host?

(FYI: I originally asked this question on Stack Exchange.)

Comments

• Options
    SruthiASruthiA Vertica Employee Administrator

HI,

Can you check if user exists in all LDAP directories? Can you share me the output of 

select * from client_auth;

Sruthi

• Options

Hey Sruthi,

Here is the output from that query. I redacted some information that appeared to be sensitive. Let me know if you need it.

=> select * from client_auth;
    auth_oid | auth_name | is_auth_enabled | auth_host_type | auth_host_address | auth_method | auth_parameters | auth_priority
    -------------------+------------+-----------------+----------------+-------------------+-------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+---------------
    54043195528839980 | tldap | True | HOST | 0.0.0.0/0 | LDAP | host=ldap://REDACTED.ADDRESS/dc=,dc=;cn=;,ou= | 0
    54043195531012096 | ldap | True | HOSTSSL | 0.0.0.0/0 | LDAP | host=ldap://REDACTED.ADDRESS, starttls=hard, basedn=dc=na,dc=RDCTS,dc=net, binddn=CN=redactedvertica,OU=3 Batch Service Accounts,OU=Batch Service Accounts,OU=MFG_Applications,DC=na,DC=RDCTS,DC=net, bind_password=REDACTED_PASSWORD, search_attribute=sAMAccountName, tls_reqcert=allow, tls_cadir=/etc/pki/tls/certs | 0
    54043195531012100 | ldap_local | True | LOCAL | | LDAP | host=ldap://REDACTED.ADDRESS, starttls=hard, basedn=dc=na,dc=RDCTS,dc=net, binddn=CN=redactedvertica,OU=3 Batch Service Accounts,OU=Batch Service Accounts,OU=MFG_Applications,DC=na,DC=RDCTS,DC=net, bind_password=REDACTED_PASSWORD, search_attribute=sAMAccountName, tls_reqcert=allow, tls_cadir=/etc/pki/tls/certs | 1
    (3 rows)

Does this information shed any light on the problem?

> Can you check if user exists in all LDAP directories?

How would I do this?

Nick

• Options

Would you like me to open a formal support ticket (if that's possible)? I'm ready to take any extra steps to get to a resolution.

• Options

Hi,

Yes. I would suggest you to open a formal support ticket. It would be much easier

Sruthi

• Options

Sruthi,

I am working on getting our support account setup so I can open a format support ticket.

In the meantime, is there anything more you can suggest I do? Any revelations from the information I posted earlier?

• Options

Hi,

Can you check if user exists in Active LDAP Directory??

Sruthi

• Options

Yes, the user exists. I checked by running the following command at the command prompt:

ldapsearch -xLLL -H ldap://na.mmfg.net -D "my_user" -W -b "dc=na,dc=dc,dc=net" '(&(samAccountName=my_user))'

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file