Vertica Slowing Down over time?
We are seeing something in our environment which is very odd and peculiar... over time, queries against Vertica tend to start slowing down to the point where there is a ~2x or more wall clock time difference for the same queries against the same dataset. There is a known workaround for this problem: a full Vertica cluster restart.
Do others experience something similar in their environment? This has been something that we've been observing since Vertica 7.0, 7.1 and now 7.2
Some facts that may help this discussion:
- We are running on CentOS 6.5
- Our Java version is Java 1.7.0_51
- Current Vertica release is 7.2.2-2 (SP2)
- We use the HDFS Connector and/or home built Java functions/UDX
- Physical stand alone nodes; DAS mode (no SAN)
- There are no extra queries or background activity like tuple mover activity/statistics/data loads, etc.
- According to our monitoring, the system usage is roughly the same between days when Vertica is "fast" and when Vertica is "slow"