Options

Kafka connector Vertica VJDBC error cannot execute because the driver has not finished reading

Hello,

I am trying to setup the Kafka connector on a 3 node 7.2.3 system. In my single node test-environments this worked perfectly. On my production system, I get an error (below):

Commands executed (the first completes successfully and Kafka_Config tables seem correct:

/opt/vertica/packages/kafka/bin/vkconfig scheduler --add --username dbadmin --operator dbadmin --brokers 172.30.0.100:9092,172.30.0.101:9092,172.30.0.102:9092 --password xxxx

/opt/vertica/packages/kafka/bin/vkconfig topic --add --target "xxx.events" --rejection-table "public.kafka_rej" --topic prd-kafka --num-partitions 3 --username dbadmin --parser fjsonparser --password xxxx

Here is the error:

java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: [Vertica][VJDBC](100102) Statement "SELECT kpartition FROM "kafka_config".kafka_offsets_topk WHERE ktopic = ? AND target_schema ilike ? AND target_table ilike ?" cannot execute because the driver has not finished reading the current open ResultSet. The driver cannot finish reading the current ResultSet because its buffer (8192 bytes) is full. The current ResultSet must be fully iterated through or closed before another statement can execute.
at com.vertica.core.VConnection.ensureNotInLRS(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.dataengine.VDataEngine.prepareImpl(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.dataengine.VDataEngine.prepare(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.dataengine.VDataEngine.prepare(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.jdbc.common.SPreparedStatement.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.jdbc.jdbc4.S4PreparedStatement.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.jdbc.VerticaJdbc4PreparedStatementImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.jdbc.VJDBCObjectFactory.createPreparedStatement(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.jdbc.common.SConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.solutions.kafka.util.CountedConnection.prepareStatement(CountedConnection.java:69)
at com.vertica.solutions.kafka.cli.TopicConfigurationCLI.addConfiguration(TopicConfigurationCLI.java:154)
at com.vertica.solutions.kafka.cli.TopicConfigurationCLI.run(TopicConfigurationCLI.java:831)
at com.vertica.solutions.kafka.cli.TopicConfigurationCLI.main(TopicConfigurationCLI.java:843)
Caused by: com.vertica.util.LRSException: [Vertica][VJDBC](100102) Statement "SELECT kpartition FROM "kafka_config".kafka_offsets_topk WHERE ktopic = ? AND target_schema ilike ? AND target_table ilike ?" cannot execute because the driver has not finished reading the current open ResultSet. The driver cannot finish reading the current ResultSet because its buffer (8192 bytes) is full. The current ResultSet must be fully iterated through or closed before another statement can execute.
... 13 more

Comments

• Options
    SruthiASruthiA Vertica Employee Administrator

Hi,

Error message is "

cannot execute because the driver has not finished reading the current open ResultSet. The driver cannot finish reading the current ResultSet because its buffer (8192 bytes) is full. The current ResultSet must be fully iterated through or closed before another statement can execute."

There is a parameter called ResultBufferSize.It sets the size of the buffer the Vertica JDBC driver uses to temporarily store result sets Default value of resultbuffer size is 8kb. Please change it to some higher value and retry your query to Kafka

Please visit the below URL for steps on how to set new value to this property

https://my.vertica.com/docs/7.2.x/HTML/index.htm#Authoring/ConnectingToHPVertica/ClientJDBC/SettingAndGettingConnectionPropertyValues.htm

• Options

Hello,

Thank you so much for the reply. Issue resolved.

Drew

• Options

Hello,

I'm getting the same error when trying to add topic

java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: [Vertica][VJDBC](100102) Statement "SELECT kpartition FROM "kafka_config".kafka_offsets_topk WHERE ktopic = ? AND target_schema ilike ? AND target_table ilike ?" cannot execute because the driver has not finished reading the current open ResultSet. The driver cannot finish reading the current ResultSet because its buffer (8192 bytes) is full. The current ResultSet must be fully iterated through or closed before another statement can execute.

May I know, how do you solve it ?

How can you set ResultBufferSize  to  /opt/vertica/packages/kafka/bin/vkconfig topic --add ?

Many Thanks

• Options

How many columns does your target table have?

Drew

• Options

Hi,  is 297 columns for my target table

• Options

Workaround:

I manually insert the records to both tables  

• kafka_config.kafka_targets
    • kafka_config.kafka_offsets

• Options

I was able to work around the issue by creating a destination table with < 10 columns. Then add the remaining columns (about 50 in my case) after starting the connector. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file