Options

vbr.py to copy tables between two vertica servers

sreeblrsreeblr - Select Field - Employee

i want to use vbr.py between two single nodes . What are settings needed in vbr.ini or custom ini.
Also what all files i need to copy to the target server . WIll restore command with ini file be safe and work without shutting down the target DB.

Comments

• Options

What's you'r Vertica version ?

You can repicate tables/schemas between databases since 7.2.3. Below link explains how to do it.

https://my.vertica.com/docs/8.0.x/HTML/index.htm#Authoring/AdministratorsGuide/BackupRestore/ReplicatingtoanAlternateCluster.htm

• Options

i have vertica 7.1 .I am trying to copy selected objects  from one dev server to another test server .

i created object specific backup in specified directory /tmp/vbr . Then i copied the files in /tmp/vbr data to test server and tried to run restore but getting the error shown below

vbr.py -t restore --config-file  tk1.ini

Enter vertica password for user dbadmin:

Preparing...

The authenticity of host '192.168.52.128 (192.168.52.128)' can't be established.

RSA key fingerprint is 85:3a:4c:99:c9:27:45:f4:08:69:c4:3d:36:fc:96:51.

Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes

Found Database port:  5433

reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for hgw failed - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!

reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for hgw failed - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!

Copying...

[==================================================] 100%

All child processes terminated successfully.

SQL command select load_snapshot_prep('tk1', true); failed:

ERROR 4757:  SnapshotMemento does not match. Oid conflicts are possible

HINT:  Try restoring a cluster wide backup together

restore failed!

Retrying... #1

Copying...

restore failed!

Retrying... #2

Copying...

restore failed!

• Options

Unfortunately Vertica doesn't support restoring and replicating objects to another database before 7.2 and 7.2.3 respectively.

• Options
    Can we create backup of one single node machine and restore all tables in another server with same/different database name. What all directories need to be copied ? Will this approach work if the server are not directly connected.
  • Options

Still you can't prior to 7.2. Old machinery depends on the meta-data of the database (where backup was taken) itself, make it impossible to restore to another database.

• Options
    ScottLScottL Employee

tharanga wrote:

Still you can't prior to 7.2. Old machinery depends on the meta-data of the database (where backup was taken) itself, make it impossible to restore to another database.

Maybe I am misunderstanding but could you clarify your comment?  Are you saying that you can only do an object level backup/restore in Vertica 7.2 or greater?  It looks like the documentation says object level backup/restore is available in 6.x or greater.  Maybe I am misunderstanding that to which you are referring.  Thank you!

https://my.vertica.com/docs/8.0.x/HTML/index.htm#Authoring/AdministratorsGuide/BackupRestore/BackingUpAndRestoringTheDatabase.htm 

"Compatibility Requirements for Restore and Replication

Creating backups with vbr requires restoring backups with the same utility. Vertica 6.x and later supports object-level backups.

Vertica supports restore, replication, and copycluster actions only to the same exact version of Vertica that created the backup. For example, you cannot restore, replicate objects, or copycluster a version 7.0.2-3 backup to a version 7.0.2-5 database."

• Options

Priot to 7.2, if you take an object backup, you can ONLY restore that to the same database.

On or after 7.2, an object backup taken from a database can be restored to the SAME or ANOTHER database, provided other database is the same version and have same number of nodes. Rest (node names, IP addresses, storage locations, etc) can be different.

• Options
    ScottLScottL Employee

Great - thank you for the clarification.  Be nice if the documentation explained it as well as you have.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file