Issues loading. txt file into Vertica via command shell

Hello,

I am trying to load a simple tab delimited file into a Vertica table using cmd line. The text file is on my local machine. When I execute the following command (see below), no rows are loaded. The message just says "0 rows loaded".

Is it possible that this command is looking on the C drive in the Vertica environment and not my local machine? If that is the case, how would I load a text file from my local machine to the Vertica box? Instead of saying "C:\text.txt", what would the code be?

Also, is there a way to BCP a text file into VERTICA table? If so, could someone please provide the code for me? I am new to Vertica and I am under a stiff time constraint.

Thank you all in advance!

VERTICA MACHINE=> copy TABLE from local 'C:\test.txt' WITH DELIMITER 't';

Comments

• Navin_CNavin_C Vertica Customer

Use this :

copy TABLE from local 'C:\test.txt' WITH DELIMITER E'\t';

For loading tab delimited files we need to use special delimiter represented by ASCII value E'\t'

Addintional options for Ascii values range from E'\000' to E'\177' for different delimiters.

• Ok thanks, but I am now getting a different error. It seems that I need to enter a source somewhere.

VERTICA=> copy VERTICA BOX.SCHEMA.TABLE from local 'C:\'test.txt' WITH DELIMITER E'\t';

ERROR 2754: COPY requires a data source; either a FROM clause or a WITH SOURCE
    for a user-defined source

Any help would be appreciated.

• Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator

Get rid of the "VERTICA BOX." text and that extra apostrophe in the file name.

Try:

copy SCHEMA.TABLE from local 'C:\test.txt' WITH DELIMITER E'\t';

But make sure to replace SCHEMA with the schema name and TABLE with the table name ...

• Navin_CNavin_C Vertica Customer

You can't be using DB reserved words like VERTICA in your SQL, unless its a valid SQL.

Vertica's Query planner will mis interpret it as another command.

Also, make sure your tables_names if have spaces, you quote it in Double quotes.

Vertica will not understand a table name if it has spaces.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file