How to find the current active node in a Vertica Cluster

I have a requirement where I am supposed to query a Vertica DB Cluster to fetch some data.
Is there a way in which I can dynamically query the current active node without hard-coding the hostnames of the nodes in the cluster?

Can I find the current active node using a command or is it available in any variable?

Or is there a workaround logic that you can suggest?

Comments

• As far as I know, you can direct your query to any node that you want. Then the cluster spreads the query to all nodes. by default all nodes are active

• Thanks @ckotsidimos .

I need to query the cluster from a remote server. So at any time, the command requires a hostname.

Consider a scenario where the current active node goes down.
    If I hard-code the hostname of initial active node, the query will fail and it wont replace this hostname with the hostname of the new active node intelligently.

I was hoping to find this information using a command or in a variable so that I can make my query intelligent enough to change hostnames as per the circumstances.

• edited March 2017

@khizer19194
    I have 2 cases for you.

1) try to remotely run admintools on a node remotely and get the details from there
    there is a command to get the nodes

2) Make a connection pool and get the names of hosts from that pool for your connection string. We have done this with the dev team in our company and worked.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file