IMPORTANT: What you need to know about hardware security flaws
Vertica is aware of potential chip-level security flaws in recently discovered hardware bugs.
Operating system vendors have developed patches to address these problems. Installing the patches could impact application performance. Vertica engineers are actively investigating how these patches might affect Vertica performance and will keep our customers informed.
There is much speculation about the impact of these flaws, so to learn more, follow the links in the rest of this message to get detailed information about your specific configuration.
For detailed descriptions of these flaws, see
• From Intel: https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-responds-to-security-research-findings/
• Graz University of Technology: https://meltdownattack.com/
Customers running on virtual machines may see the most impact. For more information, see the following links for Vertica cloud providers:
• AWS: https://aws.amazon.com/security/security-bulletins/AWS-2018-013/
• Microsoft Azure: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/securing-azure-customers-from-cpu-vulnerability/
• Google Cloud Platform: https://security.googleblog.com/2018/01/todays-cpu-vulnerability-what-you-need.html