Executing Vkconfig without having access to vertica Nodes..

Hi,

Can we schedule and execute Vkconfig if I don't have access to ssh to vertica Nodes.
I could login to vertica using Vsql from my local system as well as Non-prod clusters.

Found in below page, that we can Install and use the vkconfig utility on a non-Vertica host 

https://www.vertica.com/docs/9.2.x/HTML/Content/Authoring/KafkaIntegrationGuide/Kafka_Job_Scheduler.htm

Could any one please guide me, how to do this.
1. Where can I get Vkconfig file or the bin folder having it.
2. Can I simply place the file and execute it like we do with Vsql.

Thanks.

Answers

• Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator
    edited April 2019

On that doc page you linked to, check out the Note section:

You can install and use the vkconfig utility on a non-Vertica host. You may want to do this if:

• You do not want the scheduler to use Vertica host resources.
    • You want users who do not have shell accounts on the Vertica hosts to be able to set up and alter schedulers.

The easiest way to install vkconfig on a host is to install the Vertica server RPM. You must use the RPM that matches the version of Vertica installed on your database cluster. Do not create a database after installing the RPM. The vkconfig utility and its associated files will be in the /opt/vertica/packages/kafka/bin directory on the host.

• Thanks Jim !!!

Downloaded RPM file from https://www.vertica.com/download/vertica/client-drivers/
    But couldn't get /packages/kafka/bin in /opt/vertica/

It seems I'm missing something.
    Please guide me, from where I can get these files.

Regards,
    Sangram

• Ok got it we have to install the RPM on another Linux Host from which we want to Schedule..Is this correct.

• Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator

Yup! Make sure the versions match!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file