Options

GIS connectivity and spatial data interaction

Ralf_SRalf_S Community Edition User

I wanted to know about plans to further advance GIS connectivity and spatial data loads.
Yes, there is 'Load from shapefile', and 'Load using Copy', but shapefiles have a 2 gig limit, and 'Load using Copy'/STV_ShpCreateTable etc. is rather clunky. Spatial data formats these days also comprise geodabases and geopackages, and the use of ogr2ogr doesn't offer a direct connection apart from odbc.
This makes it still quite unattractive to load and work with spatial data, and therefore use vertica as a spatial database.
Also, it would be great to see better connectivity to common GIS systems (e.g. Qgis, Esri/ArcGis, etc). I have managed to use odbc with/in Qgis - however, the spatial side of it still falls short. Vertica offers all the ogc geopspatial functionalities, and great geo-processing/spatial analysis potentials, but it's a pity that spatial data ingestion as well as integration with the big word of GIS out there is still lacking. I guess, a workaround could be using verticapy, however, a smooth MIS/GIS integration would be much better.
The postgres/postgis - Qgis connectivity and it's smooth interaction with Qgis DB Manager is a great example of system integration.
Vertica offers integrating spatial analysis with big data analysis - but I feel esp. the research community requires more intuitive ways regarding (spatial) data loads and potential visualisation options of analytical results. It would be great to see further advancement on this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file