Options

Commission custom User Defined Functions?

edited November 2022 in General Discussion

Is it ok to post a request for a custom Vertica User Defined Function as a paid freelance job?
If able and interested can contact me directly with questions/quote. I'll update this post when hired.

EDIT Revised request below to extend an Collection function

I'd like a function APPLY_VARIANCE() such that works similar to other Vertica Collection functions, but returns the sample variance.

E.g. SELECT APPLY_VARIANCE(ARRAY[1,2,3,4]); would return the sample variance, 1.666667

Reading the docs, it seems that these could be created as a scalar User Defined Functions in C++. While these functions are documented and I used to know C++ well in the past, it seems like it would be way faster and better to hire someone already experienced with writing UDFs in Vertica.

https://www.vertica.com/docs/9.2.x/HTML/Content/Authoring/ExtendingVertica/UDx/ScalarFunctions/ExampleC++.htm

Answers

• Options
    HibikiHibiki Vertica Employee Employee

@Pieter_Sheth-Vo Does the following query with EXPLODE work as the workaround?

=> SELECT variance(value) FROM (
    ->   SELECT explode(ARRAY[1, 2, 3, 4]) OVER(PARTITION BEST)
    -> ) a;
         variance
    ------------------
    (1 row)

• Options

@Hibiki Yes! This was perfect. The EXPLODE and PARTITION functions are extremely deep.

• Options
    VValdarVValdar Vertica Employee Employee

Check the 12.0.4 patch note, we made some ease of use improvement for EXPLODE.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file