Failure installing Vertica on two nodes on Fedora 18

During the two node cluster installation, the install script first raises a warning: "It looks like 16.55.121.114 and 16.55.121.82 are the same host. Removing 16.55.121.82 from the list to update." - this obviously not true. Later, it fails with an error Error: Unable to resolve network interfaces for 16.55.121.114 Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/vertica/bin/verticaInstall.py", line 1464, in uniqueBroadcastAddrs = DBfunctions.uniqueBroadCastAddresses( profiles, options.forceSpreadReconfiguration, ignoreHosts = non_spread_hosts ) File "/opt/vertica/oss/python/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vertica/tools/DBfunctions.py", line 415, in uniqueBroadCastAddresses raise Exception( "Unable to resolve network interfaces for %s" % h ) Exception: Unable to resolve network interfaces for 16.55.121.114 Installation failed. The installation was performed from the 16.55.121.114 host. When trying to install from the other one (*.82), the error message is: "Error: '16.55.121.82' Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/vertica/bin/verticaInstall.py", line 1024, in current = profiles[host].vertica KeyError: '16.55.121.82' Installation failed.

Comments

• To add some details: I am attempting an install on two nodes running Fedora 18. I have followed the "Before you install" steps related to setting up the hosts files, enabling fixed IPs and switching off the firewall. I have passed the checks described in the aforementioned install guide. Still, the install fails during the spread setup and the error message suggests network setup issues, not covered by the install guide. I'm at the moment kind of stuck, so any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
  • OK, I believe I resolved it by changing Linux distro to Oracle. The installer does not seem to have been tested on multinode Fedora or Debian.
  • Hi Lukasz, Glad to hear you got it resolved! If you experience any more issues, we are here to help.
  • Yes, it seems Fedora 18 stores the network configuration in a way the installer does not expect. Anyway, it works fine now. Are there any plans to adjust the installer, or maybe put a disclaimer?
  • Hi Lukasz, actually there is no installer for Fedora 18. So you're correct that it has not been tested on that platform :-) The installer you probably downloaded is for Fedora 11; that's the most recent package that we have for Fedora. That installer has been tested on Fedora 11. I'm not aware of any plans to add additional disclaimers beyond the version warning, but Fedora 11 is certainly quite old; your concern has been noted. We do support the latest version of Debian. I haven't personally seen the problem that you're describing, but I haven't worked a lot with our Debian package; I'll pass the report along. I do know that there are some known installer issues with the current Debian CE package. If you're looking at free Linux distributions, and Debian doesn't work for whatever reason, I'd suggest using CentOS. (For those who aren't familiar, CentOS is built from RHEL's source code. We fully support RHEL; it's a very popular distribution in the enterprise space so any remaining bugs in that package will be found very quickly.) Though if Oracle Linux works for you, that's good too.
  • have the same problem with fedora 17 :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file