Install Vertica RPM in Amazon EC2

I tried to install RPM vertica-6.1.1-0.x86_64.RHEL5.rpm in EC2 instance that was created by Amazon Linux AMI 2013.03.1 AMI. I got the following error, rpm -Uvh vertica-6.1.1-0.x86_64.RHEL5.rpm Preparing... ########################################### [100%] ERROR: Your operating system is not supported. error: %pre(vertica-6.1.1-0.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1 error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping vertica-6.1.1-0 Thanks

Comments

• Hi Mike, The error message that you are receiving is correct -- we do not support Amazon Linux at this time. Note that the RPM that you have downloaded is for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. It will also work for RHEL 6, as well as CentOS 5 and 6. If you're installing on Amazon, we strongly recommend using our pre-configured Amazon VM's. They have been carefully tuned for optimal cloud performance. If you do want to install on your own, please use one of the various Linux platforms that we do support. Many of them are listed on the Downloads page. The complete list is in the Supported Platforms document: https://my.vertica.com/docs/CE/6.0.1/Vertica_CE_6.0.x_Supported_Platforms.pdf Our Amazon VM images use CentOS 6.3. I know the restriction may seem silly or frustrating. But it is present for a reason: Parts of Vertica work rather closely with the Linux kernel; we hit subtle bugs in some of these distributions' particular kernel versions not-infrequently. (These bugs often don't manifest themselves until the system is stressed in one way or another. We've known systems that, for example, worked fine for months until they were rebooted in a particular way and, due to a known-but-obscure filesystem bug in that patched kernel and filesystem, threw out a big chunk of data.) If it's not listed as supported, we don't test it and will not provide any support for installations that use it. You could install it anyway; I'm sure some smart community member will pop up with instructions. (They're out there for other distributions.) I can't speak for Vertica, but I personally applaud their cleverness. Just, please know what you're getting yourself into. Adam
  • Got it. Thanks a lot for the information! I found the trick but will choose a platform that Vertica officially supports. Mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file