Unable to see net provider in Visual Studio 2012

I need help in installing ADO.Net driver (64-bit). I downloaded it, and the auto-installer ran, but I can't see it from Visual Studio 2012 as an installed provider. What step did I miss?

Comments

• Prasanta_PalPrasanta_Pal - Select Field - Employee
    A. Did you check the below? 1. After installation you can open the machine.config files (one for 32 and 64bit each) under the .NET folder to see if Vertica is added correctly in the section, sample is given for other database. The folder name could be : C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config 2. After that, go to "C:\Windows\assembly" and check if "Vertica.Data" with the right version (i.e. 6.1.2.0) is added there as well. If all above are correct, you should be able to find Vertica provider in Visual Studio or the import/export's Wizard and create connections." Can you please send us the screen shot of the above two? B. Another question, did you install as an administrator? Also see if the folder has given read access to all accounts in windows C:\Program Files\Vertica Systems\.
  • Hi Prasanta-- thanks for replying. I looked at the 64-bit machine.config file and the vertica entry is not there. It does seem to be in the 32 bit version, however. I would send it to you to look at, but can't attach files here. I tried to copy the missing line from 32 to 64, but it won't let me. The second one, the assembly, does have the vertica.data line in it.
    It looks like suggest that ADO.NET was not installed properly. It might be caused by using a 32bit installer on a 64bit system. What Windows platform are you using and what is the bit-ness of it? If it's a 64bit machine, then use the 64bit ADO.NET installer. To make sure that the driver is installed correctly, Here are something things to do: 1. Uninstall ANY existing versions of Vertica ADO.NET on the system. This includes the old Vertica driver 4.x.x and any new Vertica driver (5.x.x and 6.x.x). The new Vertica driver is using a different installer from the old one, so it won't be able to detect any existing old driver on the system. We need to manually un-install any installed ones first. 2. Use the correct 6.1.2 installer for the system, i.e.: For 64bit system, use the 64bit installer. For 32bit system, use the 32bit installer. Let us know if it solved your problem imageimage
  • Hi Prasanta -- Here's what i did: 1) Uninstalled ADO.Net from control panel 2) re-downloaded 64 bit version of ado.net 3) ran the install 4) checked the 64-bit machine.config file the following entry is there: 5) checked the assembly folder. Vertica.Data 6.1.2.0 file is there. 6) ran Visual Studio 2012 -- Tried to add new data source and change data provider, Vertica is not in the list of providers available.
  • Prasanta-- Upon further research it seems that the proper files are not being inserted into the Visual Studio registry under Data Providers. Any idea on how I can add them?
  • Prasanta-- Do you think you can send me the Data Provider registry files for Visual Studio 2012 (64-bit)? This problem really needs to get resolved so that I can program against our Vertica db.
    Hi Terry, Sorry, I do not have setup in my machine, the above information is from our internal documentation. Probably, you can dig some more by following the below link, how you can modify the registry to enter the details. http://blog.nwoolls.com/2012/07/25/registering-missing-data-providers-with-visual-studio-2012/
  • Hi Prasanta-- I've read that article, and what he does is simply copy the registry files that were installed in Visual Studio 2010 over to the Visual Studio 2012. I don't have those files. Do you know WHY they were not installed? This is a bug in your installer? This is really holding up our development here at WebMD. can you escalate this problem for us?
    Hi Terry, In that case, I will recommend to create a SF case and let Tech support team to work on it. I will try to get the details if some has registry information. Do you have Visual studio 2010 installed? If you have prior version you can get from those version.
  • How do you create a SF case?
    If you are customer of HP Vertica, and have an account in Sales Force (SF) then you should be able to.
  • yes, but HOW? Your website is not exactly intuitive

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file