Participate in the early preview of the HP Vertica Marketplace!

As members of the Vertica online community we need your feedback on the marketplace, an online storefront where users and developers can find additional downloads to get the most from their Vertica install.

Check it out: http://vertica.com/marketplace

Comments

• >>we need your feedback
    Depends on goals. What is a main goal of market?  If a goal of HP to do money from "paid" versions, so don't read my post (for free versions, I will use in GitHub, I dont need marketplace for it).

----

1. Where is Rules? Terms? Conditions? Agreement?
    Is this  http://www8.hp.com/us/en/privacy/terms-of-use.html for Marketplace or general terms?

2. What about "paid version"? What about that HP do not guarantee any rights? I will not upload any thing before my rights will be guaranteed. It's ridiculous - Im a author/owner, but HP feels free to make money on my extensions/apps/modules and I can't. I don't see any reason to upload anything to HP Marketplace.
    User submissions

By submitting a User Submission, you grant to HP an irrevocable, perpetual, transferable, non-exclusive, fully-paid, worldwide, license (sublicensable through multiple tiers) to (a) use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform, and publicly display your User Submissions (or any modification thereto), in whole or in part, in any format or medium now known or later developed and (b) use (and permit others to use) your User Submission in any manner and for any purpose (including, without limitation, commercial purposes) that HP deems appropriate in its sole discretion (including, without limitation, to incorporate your User Submission or any modification thereto, in whole or in part, into any technology, product, or service). 

You agree that you are solely responsible for all of your User Submissions.

You understand and agree that any User Submission will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary and that HP will be free to disclose your User Submission to any third party absent any obligation of confidence on the part of the recipient. HP does not guarantee that you will have any recourse through HP or any third party to edit or delete any User Submission you have submitted.

"PAID" versions in market - its a joke or for HP only?

2. Designed for tablet/mobile devices - bad, bad, bad.
    Vertica doesn't run on tablets and I will not download a file to tablet/phone just for moving after it to Vertica host.

3. Terrible design - why header "HP Vertica Marcketplace" so big and moves right-left?

4. Bug in design: all applications for Windows only, while Vertica runs on *nix only.

• Hi!

1. What is a main goal of marketplace? Looks like only HP can upload to marketplace.
    2. Terrible design:
    • design for tablets/mobile devices. (Why? Does Vertica runs on tablet? Or do you think that I will download a file to tablet/mobile and after it will move to Vertica host?)
    • header in package description too big and moves right-left. Why?
    IMHO - marketplace is unnecessary:
    • terrible design
    • free extensions I can download from GitHub
    • HP "paid" products I can buy directly from HP Sales, I don't need marketplace for it
    • 3rd party extensions will not be available via market (HP doesn't guarantee any rights)
    Its ridiculous:
    User submissions

By
    submitting a User Submission, you grant to HP an irrevocable, perpetual, transferable, non-exclusive, fully-paid, worldwide, license (sublicensable through multiple tiers) to (a) use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform, and publicly display your User Submissions (or any modification thereto), in whole or in part, in any format or medium now known or later developed and (b) use (and permit others to use) your User Submission in any manner and for any purpose (including, without limitation, commercial purposes) that HP deems appropriate in its sole discretion (including, without limitation, to incorporate your User Submission or any modification thereto, in whole or in part, into any technology, product, or service).
    You agree that you are solely responsible for all of your User Submissions.
    You understand and agree that any User Submission will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary and that HP will be free to disclose your User Submission to any third party absent any obligation of confidence on the part of the recipient.
    Do you think that anyone will upload something with rules like this:
    • I'm author, but rights belongs to HP.
    • I'm author, rights belongs to HP, but Im responsible for source, not HP.
    • I'm author, Im responsible for source, but I can't do a money from it and HP can.
    Is it joke?

• Navin_CNavin_C Vertica Customer
    Well, after having a look at it, I think its a good initiative.
    But to be frank, this is creating redundancy with the materials existing  on various paths.

The Downloads section in the My Vertica portal has many of these extensions. And the rest packages are already available on Vertica's Github repository.

Either there has to be only one store when we can get all the extensions and utilities ( like this  marketplace ) or the one's already existing on various paths.

Moreover, I like the design of this portal. and also what encourages me to use this is right now everything is Free ( as it is already donated on Github and available for Customers via My Vertica Portal).

I would like to see it with more extensions and User uploading capabilities in future, which will keep the portal an open and free to use source for upcoming challenges. 
  • Thanks for the feedback Daniel and Navin. The objective for the Marketplace is to provide a single location for users, partners, and developers to upload and share extensions and demos of complimentary software to Vertica. 

For the soft launch we are aggregating existing offerings (extensions found in GitHub and MyVertica) and will then expand to include 3rd party extensions. We are definitely open to additional feedback as this is intended to benefit the Vertica community as a whole. I'd love to get 5 minutes of your time to better understand your thoughts and ideas on the marketplace. If you are open to this you can reach me at jason.ree.bailey@hp.com.

Thanks!

-Jason  
  • Hi Jason!

Market its a good idea, but what about terms? Im very interested in market, but terms/agreement doesn't look for me. As developer I want that my rights will be guaranteed.

---
    About design : "quot capita tot sensus"

Take a look on my screenshot:
    1. header too big and mover right-left
    2. too many "free area"
    3. all applications for Windows
    4. url in address bar:  it's hole in security.  :)
    Can I try /Product/{"productId": "88"}/Delete ? :)))
  • Thanks Daniel, appreciate you taking the time to provide thoughtful feedback on the marketplace! I will definitely take all of your suggestions up with the team in our next review. 

Thanks!

-Jason
  • Navin_CNavin_C Vertica Customer
    Hi Jason,

Besides correcting the Marketplace. can you also raise a request for getting code tags for this forums.

It very difficult and confusing while placing a code snippet in the text area. Code tags can make it look good and tidy.
    The previous design had this option.

Thanks
  • Happy to pass that along Navin, and thanks for the suggestion!
  • If it's an issue with users submitting code; I would prefer to see a knowledge base or list that links to Git. I feel like Git is a pretty accepted way of sharing code.

I just don't see much value in a Marketplace at this point. My other feeling is that a Marketplace is somewhere I have to spend money. Perhaps just add these add-ons/code to the downloads portion of Vertica's website?
  • For folks who've commented pointing at Github:  Thanks for your feedback on that; you're absolutely right that Github is a great way to distribute and develop code.

(On that note, if anyone here has open-source Vertica-related code on Github or elsewhere, I'd be more than happy to talk with you about having some kind of common listing or community for open-source work.  Or about merging code into our repo, etc.  You can find me through Vertica's Github page.)

Github is, however, not such a great way of distributing packages.  You can use it that way if you try, but compiled binaries are not what git is meant for.

The Marketplace downloads are (mostly) pre-compiled and ready to install.  That way, they can be used in environments that don't have a compiler readily available (data centers seem to be locking down more and more on having useful tools installed, largely I think for security reasons after all the break-ins in the news these days), and by users who know SQL but wouldn't be comfortable compiling software.

Many of them do include source code as well.  "It's open-source; why not include the code?"

Feedback welcome on all of this, of course.  

First encounter - quite painful experience.
    To download ODBC driver I had to:
    1) go to https://my.vertica.com/download-community-edition/
    2) enter my credentials 
    3) discover there is pure nothing there
    4) go to forums
    5) discover that i have to use EARLY PREVIEW of vertica marketplace
    6) swear, because the product tiles are too small and you cant really see neither the title, nor any description (see image)
    7) swear again because i need to log in again
    8) discover that my.vertica ID does not work
    9) discover that saved HP ID does not work either
    10) create new "HP Web ID"
    11) allow popup windows from my.vertica.com (common, this is so last century!)
    12) spend some time with a popup window titled "Token" before i discovered that means i'm logged in 
    13) download zip archive (why the hell do you zip an already compressed installer - to obtain a 29 099 450B zipfile from a 29 912 368B installer,  
    14) extract that zip to FINALLY obtain driver installer

• Hi Oden, thanks for your participation and feedback in the early preview of the Vertica Marketplace.

The HP Web ID has new secure features that will allow a user to eventually purchase paid content in a secure manner to ensure that an untrustworthy source doesn't copy or steal your login credentials. You will also be able to eventually use your HP Web ID for other sites and apps that use HP Web ID.

The ability to download a driver directly (instead of via a ZIP file), and improvements in the descriptions and category management related to the offerings in the Marketplace are coming soon. Please stay tuned as we work to implement these improvements.

I will pass along your other suggestions as well. Thanks again for the feedback!

Chris

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file