Options

ODBC driver for FreeBSD.

Hello and Happy New Year!

Any Vertica 7 ODBC driver available for FreeBSD?
I've tried Linux x32 ODBC driver, but it seems not working:
root@localdev:/usr/local/etc # isql vertica -v  [01000][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't open lib '/usr/lib/vertica/libverticaodbc.so.7.0.0' : file not found  [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
ldd is saying:
root@localdev:/usr/lib/vertica # ldd libverticaodbc.so.7.0.0  ldd: libverticaodbc.so.7.0.0: not a FreeBSD ELF shared object
Thank you for any help!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Kirill,

Happy New Year to you as well!

Unfortunately, Vertica does not provide a native FreeBSD port of its driver.

ODBC works by dynamically loading libraries.  As far as I know, FreeBSD does support Linux applications (with the right kernel module loaded) but it does not support mixed-mode Linux/FreeBSD applications; meaning a FreeBSD binary can't load Linux libraries and vice versa.  That means you'd need your entire stack (isql, your ODBC libraries, and the Vertica driver) to be compiled for Linux.  Could that be the issue?

Adam
  • Options
    Hello, Adam

Thank you for reply.

Yes, I know about Linux emulation possibilities in Linux, but I have to run not only isql, but full stack of technologies: apache + php, php should use php-pdo_odbc module to connect vertica etc. So this is not for me :(

I've tried to find some kind of ODBC > JDBC bridge (because JDBC works ok with FreeBSD), but failed. There are no good ODBC > JDBC bridge available to FreeBSD. Even paid solution from EasySoft http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc_jdbc_gateway/ is not running under FreeBSD (I've talked to their support team).

I absolutely don't want it, but it seems to me that I have to move to CentOS or other Linux family OS. :) 

Thank you and Happy New Year!

• Options
    @Kirill
    I think I have a some wrapper on pure python that can help you, but its not full featured client (no rollbacks and commits). If you are interested can you mail me more details.
    [setarckos at gmail.com][с наступившим]

@adam
    Github has no private messaging feature.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file