Options

tmp/pgsql_tmp folder

there is a folder called pgsql_tmp in the catalog/tmp folder. I would like purge old files from this folder and I would like to know if its safe to do so. 

Comments

• Options
    Anyone? I am trying to understand if I can delete the contents of this tmp folder.
  • Options
    Hi Karan,

Interesting -- usually that directory contains small files and is automatically purged.

It is not safe to purge this directory while the database is running.  I suspect it's ok to purge it once the node in question has been shut down, but I'm not certain because I would expect it to be self-cleaning in most scenarios so am not immediately sure why the files are still there.

If you're seeing lots of data accumulate here, that's certainly interesting.  What version of Vertica are you running?  What sorts of files (filenames, etc) are you seeing in that directory?

Thanks,
    Adam
  • Options
    I am seeing files with names like pgsql_tmp5148.101191. Seems like this folder has never been purged since I am seeing data since November of last year. It has about 13GB worth of data in there. If shutting down the DB is all that is required to purge this folder then I can get that done. We are running version 6.0.1. We only have issues on the first node. 

<code>                                   EE_SPILLGROUP_BY_SPILLED▒▒▒DBD_ON_QUERYINSERT INTO STAGE_FACT_INVENTORY_ITEMS SELECT TO_TIMESTAMP( UPDATED_TIMESTAMP,'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS') SYSTEM_TIMESTAMP,        TO_NUMBER( SUBSTR( UPDATED_TIMESTAMP,1,4)) * 10000 +        TO_NUMBER( SUBSTR( UPDATED_TIMESTAMP,6,2)) * 100 +        TO_NUMBER( SUBSTR( UPDATED_TIMESTAMP,9,2)) DATE_ID,        TO_NUMBER( SUBSTR( UPDATED_TIMESTAMP, 12,2) ) HOUR_ID,        USER_ID,        A.GAME_ID,        B.INVENTORY_ITEM_ID,        A.GAMEDB_ITEM_ID,        A.ITEM_TYPE_ID,        A.QTY   FROM   (   SELECT *   FROM TMP_INVENTORY_ITEMS   WHERE ITEM_TYPE_ID = 7 OR (USER_ID, GAME_ID, GAMEDB_ITEM_ID, ITEM_TYPE_ID, QTY)        NOT IN (                SELECT USER_ID, GAME_ID, GAMEDB_ITEM_ID, ITEM_TYPE_ID, QTY                FROM FACT_INVENTORY_ITEMS                WHERE (UPDATED_TIMESTAMP, USER_ID, GAME_ID, GAMEDB_ITEM_ID, ITEM_TYPE_ID)                       IN (SELECT MAX(UPDATED_TIMESTAMP), USER_ID, GAME_ID, GAMEDB_ITEM_ID, ITEM_TYPE_ID                           FROM FACT_INVENTORY_ITEMS                           GROUP BY USER_ID, GAME_ID, GAMEDB_ITEM_ID, ITEM_TYPE_ID                          )               )    ) A      LEFT JOIN        DIM_INVENTORY_ITEMS B        ON A.GAMEDB_ITEM_ID = B.GAMEDB_ITEM_ID           AND A.ITEM_TYPE_ID = B.ITEM_TYPE_ID           AND A.GAME_ID = B.GAME_ID+consider query-specific design on querHIGH▒▒▒
    </code>
  • Options
    Actually, I should correct myself. I am seeing data since November 2012 until December 2013. Then there is no data until April 9th and then I am seeing files accumulate again. Is it safe for me to delete files from last year without stopping the DB?
  • Options
    Hi Karan,

Hm...  Looking around some more:  Apparently there's a known issue about this in Vertica 6.0; certain types of statements will leave temp files behind.  This was fixed in Vertica 6.1SP1.

If the statement corresponding to a particular temp file has completed, you can delete the corresponding file.  I assume you have no long-running queries that started in December 2013 and are still going?  In that case, it should be safe to delete those files.

Thanks,
    Adam
  • Options
    Safe to delete while the DB is up and running?
  • Options
    I would expect it to be safe.

It's not a common / well-tested operation.  If you want to be conservative, take the DB down anyway; or do one node at a time, in which case the worst case (as long as your database has K-safety of at least 1) would be that the one node goes down and has to recover from its buddy.

If you're particularly concerned about this, and you have an Enterprise license, you're welcome to file a Support case at http://my.vertica.com/ .  They can give you a more-specific statement about exactly what is safe/supported/etc.
  • Options
    I went ahead and deleted them while the DB was up and running. No issues so far. Thanks for your help! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file