Options

Problem installing Vertica 7 on Ubuntu 12.04

I downloaded the Vertica package for Ubuntu from MyVertica and upon doing the install with the dpkg command, I get the following error:

dpkg -i vertica_7.0.1-0_amd64.deb(Reading database ... 90180 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking vertica (from vertica_7.0.1-0_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): short read on buffer copy for failed to write to pipe in copy
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing vertica_7.0.1-0_amd64.deb (--install):
 short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during './opt/vertica/packages/hcat/lib/hadoop-hdfs-2.0.0-alpha.jar'
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 vertica_7.0.1-0_amd64.deb

Is there something I am missing?

Comments

• Options

Osiris,

did you try running it as sudo?

• Options
    hi koul,

yes, I am running it as root. I also tried running it with sudo with my non-root account as well.
  • Options
    It sounds to me like you may be missing some bytes :-)

Are you sure that the file downloaded completely/successfully?  The message "short read on buffer copy for failed to write to pipe in copy" is a standard dpkg error that often corresponds to a truncated package-file.
  • Options
    I have downloaded the "vertica_7.0.1-0_amd64.deb" package from myVertica (twice) onto my windows workstatation, and I pscp it to ubuntu. Should I be downloading the vertica package a different way?

When I do dpkg-deb -c to view the contents on the file, I am able to view them. 
  • Options
    Hi Adam,

Actually, this was the problem. I transferred the file and this time verified that there was no errors in the transfer. I was able to do a dpkg install this time around. 

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file