C# ADO.net 7.2.1.0 System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException after Upgrade

I have an application that connects to our Vertica cluster through ADO.NET and worked fine until myself and my users upgraded to the 7.2.1.0 dll. It appears C# and Vertica are having a difficult time with data types that previously worked fine.

It appears that the Vertica dll is trying to set the numeric results from my query to decimals in C# which may be causing issues.

Here's what the portion of my select looks like (previously worked fine with Vertica dll version 7.1.x

case when sum(customers) = 0 then 0 else sum(orders) / sum(customers) end as 'customers per order'

Here's what I have to do now as a workaround. I do not want to have to cast every single select field as I have several dozen.

cast(case when sum(customers) = 0 then 0 else sum(orders) / sum(customers) end as float) as 'customers per order'

Here's a snippet of code where I fill a VerticaDataAdapter.

VerticaDataAdapter adapter = new VerticaDataAdapter();
//adapter.ReturnProviderSpecificTypes = true;
VerticaCommand query = new VerticaCommand();
query.CommandText = sql; //sql query set previously
query.Connection = connection; //connection opened previously

adapter.SelectCommand = query;

try
{
adapter.Fill(vertica_datatable);
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
//Exception thrown here
}

Here are the contents of the exception:

base = {System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
at Vertica.Data.Internal.DataEngine.VerticaNumeric.getDecimalFromBinaryBytes()
at Vertica.Data.Internal.DataEngine.VerticaNumeric.CreateNativeValue(Boolean...

at Vertica.Data.Internal.DataEngine.VerticaNumeric.getDecimalFromBinaryBytes()
at Vertica.Data.Internal.DataEngine.VerticaNumeric.CreateNativeValue(Boolean isBinaryTransfer)
at Vertica.Data.Internal.DataEngine.VType.get_NativeValue()
at Vertica.Data.Internal.DataEngine.VDataConverter.DoConvertToDefaultType(Object srcData, TypeMetadata srcMetadata)
at Vertica.Data.Internal.DotNetDSI.DataEngine.DataConverter.ConvertToDefaultType(Object srcData, TypeMetadata srcMetadata)
at Vertica.Data.Internal.ADO.Net.SDataReader.ConvertDataForOutput(Object data, TypeMetadata metadata)
at Vertica.Data.Internal.ADO.Net.SDataReader.GetValue(Int32 ordinal, Boolean convertTypesForOutput)
at Vertica.Data.Internal.ADO.Net.SDataReader.get_Item(Int32 ordinal)
at Vertica.Data.Internal.ADO.Net.SDataReader.GetValues(Object[] values)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DataReaderContainer.CommonLanguageSubsetDataReader.GetValues(Object[] values)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.SchemaMapping.LoadDataRow()
at System.Data.Common.DataAdapter.FillLoadDataRow(SchemaMapping mapping)
at System.Data.Common.DataAdapter.FillFromReader(DataSet dataset, DataTable datatable, String srcTable, DataReaderContainer dataReader, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, DataColumn parentChapterColumn, Object parentChapterValue)
at System.Data.Common.DataAdapter.Fill(DataTable[] dataTables, IDataReader dataReader, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable[] dataTables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable)
at Connection.Run_Query(String sql, Connection_Types connection_type) in c:\Users\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\VerticaService.cs:line 55

Comments

• This is still an issue. Can anyone from HP comment?

• SruthiASruthiA Vertica Employee Administrator

Hi,

What is the data type that you defined for customers, orders in C# and vertica database?

Sruthi

• I posted a question on stackoverflow with some more details here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35435013/out-of-range-exception-when-running-vertica-query-after-upgrading-dll

The field 'lower_limit' in Vertica is a numeric field. I'm just trying to use the adapter to fill a c# DataTable so it doesn't have a specific data type.

• Is there any more information needed? I feel like there should be a simple explanation for this since it's so simple to recreate.

• Still no response from HP on this?

• warnerjonnwarnerjonn Vertica Customer

The exception that is thrown when the value of an argument is outside the allowable range of values as defined by the invoked method. Indexing an empty list will always throw an exception. Use a method like Add to append the item to the end of the list, or Insert to place the item in the middle of the list somewhere, etc. You cannot index into a list if that offset doesn't exist.

Typically, an ArgumentOutOfRangeException results from developer error. Instead of handling the exception in a try/catch block, you should eliminate the cause of the exception or, if the argument is returned by a method call or input by the user before being passed to the method that throws the exception, you should validate arguments before passing them to the method.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file