Eon Mode Now Available in Vertica 9.1

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Administrator
edited May 2018 in Tips from the Team

Jim Knicely authored this tip.

You can now deploy a Vertica cluster with an Eon Mode database instead of an Enterprise mode database. In Enterprise Mode, the original Vertica “share nothing” configuration, each database node stores a portion of the data and performs a portion of the computation. In Eon Mode, computational processes are separated from a communal (shared) storage layer, which enables rapid scaling of computational resources as demand changes. Please note that Eon Mode is only available with AWS as of this writing.

EON rocks!

Comments

• Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator
    edited May 2018

Hi,

To help you get a better understanding of the differences between / benefits of Vertica Enterprise mode vs Vertica Eon mode, please read the attached document "Introducing the Eon Mode Concept" written by Joy King! Let us know if you have any questions! :)

Thanks!

• Can it be deployed in non AWS deployment as well like a local SAN ?

edited May 2018

According to the Vertica 9.1 doc:

An Eon Mode database must be deployed on Amazon Web Services. You can use the Management Console to provision an Eon Mode database. (Enterprise Mode also supports deployment on AWS and also supports on-premise hardware and other cloud platforms.)

See:
    https://my.vertica.com/docs/9.1.x/HTML/index.htm#Authoring/Eon/EonModeLandingPage.htm

So for now, no, you can not deploy an Eon mode database on any other platform other than AWS.

• Hi,
    I understand the server configurations are saved in local and data is stored on s3.
    Correct ?
    Can I have 2 servers sharing the same s3 bucket ?
    Can I share only the ROS files associated to a certain table with another server ? I am interested if I can avoid in this way to replicate data for a certain table.
    Thank you,
    Veronica

edited June 2019

Hi Veronica,

See answers inline:

I understand the server configurations are saved in local and data is stored on s3.
    Correct ? Yes
    Can I have 2 servers sharing the same s3 bucket ? Not sure what you mean by servers. Only one DB (i.e. cluster) can reference an S3 bucket. Imagine the repercussions otherwise. Look into Eon subclusters as an alternative.
    Can I share only the ROS files associated to a certain table with another server ? No

Thank you,
    Veronica