Vertica Extension - String Package supported in Vertica 9

Does anyone know if the string package (https://github.com/vertica/Vertica-Extension-Packages/tree/master/strings_package) can be installed in Vertica 9?
we have a problem installed this package on Vertica 9. Appreciate your help!

Comments

• Ariel_CaryAriel_Cary Vertica Employee Employee

That repo hasn't been updated in a while. It's possible you need to do a few tweaks to install the library in newer Vertica versions. What kind of error do you get?
    Also, what functions are you looking to get from this library?

• Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator
    edited August 2018

You will need to recompile the code.

I just upgraded to Vertica 9.1.1 which came out today.

So I had to do this:

[dbadmin@s18384357 strings_package]$ pwd
    /home/dbadmin/strings_package
    [dbadmin@s18384357 strings_package]$ ls
    build  ddl  doc  examples  lib  LICENSE.txt  Makefile  README.txt  src  test-data
    [dbadmin@s18384357 strings_package]$ rm -f ./build/*
    [dbadmin@s18384357 strings_package]$ rm -f ./lib/*
    [dbadmin@s18384357 strings_package]$ make install
    g++ -g -D HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64 -c -I ../include -Wall -Wno-unused-value -fPIC -I /opt/vertica/sdk/include -I /home/dbadmin/strings_package/src/third-party/include -O3 -DNDEBUG /opt/vertica/sdk/include/Vertica.cpp -o build/Vertica.o
    g++ -g -D HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64 -c -I ../include -Wall -Wno-unused-value -fPIC -I /opt/vertica/sdk/include -I /home/dbadmin/strings_package/src/third-party/include -O3 -DNDEBUG src/EditDist.cpp -o build/EditDist.o
    g++ -g -D HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64 -c -I ../include -Wall -Wno-unused-value -fPIC -I /opt/vertica/sdk/include -I /home/dbadmin/strings_package/src/third-party/include -O3 -DNDEBUG src/PorterStemmer.cpp -o build/PorterStemmer.o
    src/PorterStemmer.cpp: In function ‘void step5(stemmer*)’:
    src/PorterStemmer.cpp:375: warning: suggest parentheses around ‘&&’ within ‘||’
    g++ -g -D HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64 -c -I ../include -Wall -Wno-unused-value -fPIC -I /opt/vertica/sdk/include -I /home/dbadmin/strings_package/src/third-party/include -O3 -DNDEBUG src/StringTokenizerDelim.cpp -o build/StringTokenizerDelim.o
    g++ -g -D HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64 -c -I ../include -Wall -Wno-unused-value -fPIC -I /opt/vertica/sdk/include -I /home/dbadmin/strings_package/src/third-party/include -O3 -DNDEBUG src/NGrams.cpp -o build/NGrams.o
    g++ -g -D HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64 -c -I ../include -Wall -Wno-unused-value -fPIC -I /opt/vertica/sdk/include -I /home/dbadmin/strings_package/src/third-party/include -O3 -DNDEBUG src/StringTokenizer.cpp -o build/StringTokenizer.o
    g++ -g -D HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64 -c -I ../include -Wall -Wno-unused-value -fPIC -I /opt/vertica/sdk/include -I /home/dbadmin/strings_package/src/third-party/include -O3 -DNDEBUG src/WordCount.cpp -o build/WordCount.o
    g++ -g -D HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64 -c -I ../include -Wall -Wno-unused-value -fPIC -I /opt/vertica/sdk/include -I /home/dbadmin/strings_package/src/third-party/include -O3 -DNDEBUG src/AnagramLib.cpp -o build/AnagramLib.o
    g++ -g -D HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64 -c -I ../include -Wall -Wno-unused-value -fPIC -I /opt/vertica/sdk/include -I /home/dbadmin/strings_package/src/third-party/include -O3 -DNDEBUG src/GroupConcat.cpp -o build/GroupConcat.o
    mkdir -p lib
    g++ -shared -o lib/StringsLib.so build/Vertica.o build/EditDist.o build/PorterStemmer.o build/StringTokenizerDelim.o build/NGrams.o build/StringTokenizer.o build/WordCount.o build/AnagramLib.o build/GroupConcat.o
    vsql -f ddl/install.sql
                  version
    ------------------------------------
     Vertica Analytic Database v9.1.1-0
    (1 row)

CREATE LIBRARY
    CREATE FUNCTION
    CREATE FUNCTION
    CREATE TRANSFORM FUNCTION
    CREATE FUNCTION

Test:

[dbadmin@s18384357 strings_package]$ vsql -f ./examples/word_count.sql
    CREATE TABLE
                                        sentence                                    | word_count
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------+------------
     I tried to speak Spanish, and my friend tried to speak English.                |         12
     Alejandro played football, so Maria went shopping.                             |          7
     Alejandro played football, for Maria went shopping.                            |          7
     When he handed in his homework, he forgot to give the teacher the last page.   |         15
     The teacher returned the homework after she noticed the error.                 |         10
     The students are studying because they have a test tomorrow.                   |         10
     After they finished studying, Juan and Maria went to the movies.               |         11
     Juan and Maria went to the movies after they finished studying.                |         11
     The woman who(m) my mom talked to sells cosmetics.                             |          9
     The book that Jonathan read is on the shelf.                                   |          9
     The house which Abraham  Lincoln was born in is still standing.                |         11
     The town where I grew up is in the United States.                              |         11
    (12 rows)

DROP TABLE

• Our support team just mentioned the codes cannot be compiled.

I will ask them to try Jim's suggestion. Thanks a lot!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file