Hi 

I want to connect R and vertica

but, I don't know everything

each download R and vertica??

and what is the next job??

please help me ... 

Comments

• Hi choisika,

There are a lot of different client drivers you can use to connect to Vertica from R. So if the client driver I use in my example doesn't work for your needs, then you can try using another. RODBC is the first one that jumps to my mind, and is the one I've used a lot with my Vertica instances. RJDBC is another option, but I've found it to be very slow for my work loads-- although it might work fine for you.

Here are the things you'll need to do:

1. Download the Vertica Client Drivers from my.vertica.com.
    2. Setup an ODBC connection.
  • Install the R library you want to use to make your client connection. For this demonstration I'll use RODBC.
      • install.packages('RODBC')
    1. In your R code create a database connection and execute a query. (Check out the RODBC docs for more details about doing this. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RODBC/vignettes/RODBC.pdf)
    2. # Here is a short example of making a database connection

library(RODBC)

# Open a client connection with the database
      # Note: It is not recommended to use your password in plaintext
      vertica <- odbcDriverConnect("driver={/opt/hpe/odbc/lib64/libverticaodbc.so};server=node01.example.com;database=my_db;Uid=dbadmin;Pwd=123password")

# Run a query
      sample_query <- sqlQuery(vertica, "SELECT * FROM foo")

# Don't forget to close your connection
      odbcClose(vertica)

The tricky part of doing this is setting up the ODBC connection. Make sure to carefully read the instructions.

If you have any other questions or run into another issue, please let me know.

-C

• Hi Casey_S

Thank you for your kindress

I'll try 

Have a nice day~!!

• How can you locate the Driver {/opt/hpe/odbc/lib64/libverticaodbc.so} file?

• SruthiASruthiA Vertica Employee Administrator

Hi Heison,

Currently it is located at /opt/vertica/lib64 location in 9.1.x. 

[dbadmin@sanumula1 lib64]$ cd /opt/vertica/lib64/
    [dbadmin@sanumula1 lib64]$ ls
    libverticaodbc.so
    [dbadmin@sanumula1 lib64]$ pwd
    /opt/vertica/lib64
    [dbadmin@sanumula1 lib64]$

• Hi,
    If the output of my R script is a ggplot, how I can manage this output? Is it possible to "send" it to a sw presentation layer like Power BI, Tableau, Grafana, etc? Any link to browse on this topic? Thanks in advance...

• RlangUserRlangUser Community Edition User
    edited December 2020

It may not be the fastest, but I prefer to use the Vertica JDBC driver from R. Getting the ODBC drivers working is a little messy across different operating systems. If you already have a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed for other applications then this is fairly straightforward.

Download the Vertica JDBC drivers for your Vertica server version from the MyVertica portal. Place the driver (a .jar file) in a reasonable location for your operating system.

Install RJDBC into your workspace:

install.packages("RJDBC",dep=TRUE)
    In your R-lang script, load the RJDBC module and create an instance of the Vertica driver, adjusting the classPath argument to point to the location and filename of the driver you downloaded.

• Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file