Vertica Cluster Shutting Down repeatedly

edited November 2018 in General Discussion

Hi Team,

I am facing an issue where the Vertica database shutting down with the below log:

2018-11-21 12:11:34.020 AnalyzeRowCount:0x @v_product_extract_node0001: VX001/3231: Error on opening file for write [/home/dbadmin/product_extract/v_product_extract_node0001_catalog/Catalog/sequencegenerator.cat]: Operation not permitted

Please help.

Answers

• Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator

Did the file permissions/ownership get messed up? Here's what I see:

[dbadmin@s18384357 Catalog]$ ls -lrt sequencegenerator.cat
    -rw------- 1 dbadmin verticadba 150 Nov 21 10:46 sequencegenerator.cat

• I see the exact same file ownership for me.
    The situation is, I start the vertica database and it works perfectly for few hours and suddenly the database stops with the mentioned log at the end of the vertica.log file.

I have checked the file ownership multiple times and it is the exactly as mentioned in your comment but still the issue happens.

Not sure what goes wrong.

• Hi,

Even we have the same file rights in our system.

Did you checked your Filesystem? may be your /catalog is reaching 100% while you run this cluster for sometime.

[root@Vertest1 /catalog/vdb/v_vdb_node0001_catalog]$ ls -lrth /catalog/vdb/v_vdb_node0001_catalog/Catalog/sequencegenerator.cat
    -rw------- 1 dbadmin verticadba 152 Nov 22 04:45 /catalog/vdb/v_vdb_node0001_catalog/Catalog/sequencegenerator.cat
    [root@Vertest1 /catalog/vdb/v_vdb_node0001_catalog]$

Regards,
    Raghav

• Hi Raghav,
    Thanks for the reply.

When you say that my /catalog is reaching 100%, do you mean my disk space is reaching 100% occupied ?

The file permissions in my system look exact same as yours and I have about (100GB)20% of free space on disk.

Also, I see that the catalog folder is occupying just 4KB of space.

• Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator

Do you have an anti-virus program running? Vertica requires that no AV scanner process should be running on/scanning Vertica related files. This is because the way Vertica operates on some files, may lead to AV scanner believing that the file is infected/malicious.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file