Options

Alternate to Oracle Scheduler in Vertica

Hi All,

Does anyone know that do we have any functionality in Vertica DB to execute SQL scripts on a particular time duration?

Something alternative to Oracle Scheduler.

My aim is to create a maintenance rules for few DB tables in our system.

I want to avoid using linux's crontab utility as it can run any shell script.

Regards,
Raghav Agrawal

Comments

• Options
    Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator

You can use Workload Analyzer to create your own rules:

See:
    https://www.vertica.com/blog/inside-the-secret-world-of-the-workload-analyzerba-p223319/

However, that won't actually fix anything for you, it'll just let you identify issues.

I believe that if you want to run maintenance jobs like analyzing stats where they are stale, you'll have to use CRONTAB. The problem with that is you'd have to duplicate the CRON jobs on each node in the event a node is down and coordinate the jobs so that they don't run on node 2 if they are running on node 1, etc...

• Options
    Hello Jim,

Using any scheduler services, i wish to delete rows from table which are older than 1 month. Workload analyzer will not be able to solve this problem.

If crontab is my only option left then i will start preparing a shell script for it.

Regards,
    Raghav Agrawal
  • Options
    Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator

Why do you want to delete data? I'm of the belief that we always want more data so that we can get better analytics. Are you trying to save space or limit the data available to users? If its the latter, you can create a VIEW.

• Options
    Your doubt is genuine. It’s our product design.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file