Options

Unable to grant different authentication to different users

ankitdmankitdm Employee
edited January 2019 in General Discussion

We have a need to setup different authentication types for different users, mainly a "trust" type for the dbadmin from the localhost, and "hash" for all other users. I have created a new authentication for "trust" type and granted it to the dbadmin, which works fine (dbadmin doesn't get prompted for a password when logging in from localhost). However, I am unable to login using another user (reader1) from localhost via vsql, I get the following error:

vsql: FATAL 2248: Authentication failed for username "reader1"

I am able to login using the same user from a remote host using a sql client (DBVisualizer). I would have expected the "trust" type to be assigned to only the user I assigned to, and so rest of the users' authentication type should remain the default, isn't it? Am I missing something?

Thanks
-Ankit

Comments

• Options

Ok, I found the solution (or so I think). Looks like once you define a hash authentication, it explicitly needs to be assigned to the user for 'local' to allow the user to also login locally using username/password.

Now onto my next test to configure TLS client authentication for a user (u1) when connecting from host1, and hash authentication when connecting from host2. Thats possible, right?

• Options
    DaveTDaveT Vertica Employee Employee

Yes, once you establish authentications you need to ensure all users are covered and, yes, you can set up different authentication methods for different users.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file