Options

DBD recommendations based on amount of data?

DreaBrandfordDreaBrandford Vertica Employee Employee

Is the amount of data in the tables important for the design recommendations made by DBD? In other words, does a large amount of data required for the DBD to make a good recommendation ?

Asked during BDC session Vertica Database Designer – Today and Tomorrow
@ybei

Answers

• Options
    JoeGonzalezVertDBAJoeGonzalezVertDBA Vertica Customer

I think it makes a difference when it comes to recommending a projection that is unsegmented (which is recommended for smaller tables) vs a projection that is segmented. My personal rule of thumb is to default to an unsegmented projection on a table with less than 1 million rows. I am not sure exactly what amount the DBD uses when recommending one vs the other but I do believe itt takes itt into account for this purpose only.

• Options
    Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator
    edited April 2020

Check out:

dbadmin=> SELECT parameter_name, default_value, description FROM configuration_parameters WHERE parameter_name IN ('DBDRepLargeRowCountPct', 'DBDRepSmallRowCountPct', 'DBDLargestTableRowCountBoundary');
             parameter_name          | default_value |                                                                                                      description                                         
    ---------------------------------+---------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     DBDRepLargeRowCountPct          | 1.000000      | If the largest fact table has more than <DBDLargestTableRowCountBoundary> rows, then use this percentage off the largest fact table to define the number of rows below which a table should be replicated Default: 1%
     DBDRepSmallRowCountPct          | 10.000000     | If the largest fact table has less than <DBDLargestTableRowCountBoundary> rows, then use this percentage off the largest fact table to define the number of rows below which a table should be replicated Default: 10%
     DBDLargestTableRowCountBoundary | 1000000       | Number of minimum rows expected in Fact Table, default 1M rows
    (3 rows)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file