Questions regarding new vertica installation on centOS 7

raulk89raulk89 Community Edition User

Hi
I am new to this. I wanted to make familiar myself with vertica. And due to this I have some questions regarding installation.
I downloaded vertica community edition vertica-9.2.1-0.x86_64.RHEL6.rpm
(installer says "...RHEL6.rpm", but actually this is the only one that I got from vertica website)
Installed this rpm on CentOS 7.6

I did all the necessary requirements. I decided to use LVM for the vertica data directory.

Then created cluster
# /opt/vertica/sbin/install_vertica --hosts <<hostname>> --rpm vertica-9.2.1-0.x86_64.RHEL6.rpm --data-dir /vertica
I then created database.

What I did notice, with the rpm installation I get 2 vertica systemd services

• verticad (not running at all, not enabled) - cannot start/stop it, service still shows inactive.
    verticad service looks like this:

cat /etc/systemd/system/verticad.service
[Unit]
Description=Vertica server restart oneshot
[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/opt/vertica/sbin/verticad start
SuccessExitStatus=1
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

• vertica_agent (running), and this cane be start/stop by systemd service.

What is the purpose of the above 2 services..?
And can I modify this verticad service so that this service will actually start/stop my database..?

So, at this time, I have come to conclude, that vertica can only be started with the following command
# su - dbadmin -c "admintools -t start_db -d mydb"

What is the difference in using either of these:

• $ admintools -t stop_host ...
  • $ admintools -t stop_node ...

Comments

• raulk89raulk89 Community Edition User

Anyone?

• I'm not sure I can answer the first part of your question. I'm also curious why you waited almost a year to try to follow-up to your question? At any rate, the services are just internal Vertica services. They are required for the database. Admintools doesn't have to be command-line driven. It's an interactive screen (just type admintools) and you can choose those options from the menu. Finally, I believe stop_node and stop_host are synonymous with one another.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file